Computer Help forum

General discussion

I think my computer has it in for me

by jdrebel / May 3, 2005 1:19 AM PDT

Ok I'm currently usuing a friend's computer, so I don't have the specs if you ask me, but I can get them and post them later. Here's my problem...

I got up a week ago, and turned my computer and monitor on with no problem, it shut down properly, and I went to work. I came home from work, turned my computer on, and it started properly, but my monitor went directly into a shutoff mode (I guess that's what you call it. The green light turned orange). I tried another monitor on it, and I couldn't even get a picture. Now I checked my vid card in another computer, and it works fine.

When I disconnect the monitor, the "No signal" flashes, but as I re-connect it to the vid card, it does that shutdown mode. I have a Phillips monitor, and an ASUS motherboard model P4S533X, and that's all I remember for specs at this time besides a little over 1 gig ram, and 2.2ghz processor.

If this help any, I did not overclock the processor, nor did I remove any of the cables/powersupplies. I did not have it connected to the internet at the time.

All I want to know is, does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong? My warranties for both the monitor and motherboard ran out a day before they went on the blink, and nobody I know seems to know what the problem might be.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I think my computer has it in for me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I think my computer has it in for me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"computer has it in for me" heheh
by TONI H / May 3, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

that's why I named my website pcwarware (warfare meaning 'an active struggle between two entities...you and the pc itself')........get used to it, hon, as it's a battle we all face every day.

Now......the monitor and no signal. First check your keyboard. Many new ones have sleep mode/hibernation and other settings built into it and you may have bumped a default key that set things off in a different direction. Mine specifically has three buttons on it that I never paid any attention to because I've never installed any software for it...and yet I'll be darned if they weren't active on their own. Sleep, Wake Up, and Power.........and they all do exactly what they say. I accidently bumped the key for Power and the whole computer shut down in the middle of my doing something. Scared the heck out of me thinking my system itself broke.

If you still have no signal......remove the video card again and reseat it very firmly back into the slot since it's a separate card. However, if you ALSO have on-board video (some motherboards do), make sure you have the monitor hooked up to the separate video card and not the motherboard connector instead. If that's what has happened, and you get a signal, enter the bios and turn off/disable the on-board video so it doesn't happen again by trying to default to the motherboard rather than your separate card.

TONI

Collapse -
Monitor
by AussiePete / May 3, 2005 3:09 AM PDT

You didn't say if you tried your monitor on another computer - however you did say another monitor didn't work either.
Do you get anything on the monitor when you turn it on???? I say this because you maybe able to get into the bios and reload the defaults in case something in your power management has changed by itself.
OR press F8 and boot into safe mode as it maybe winXP that is turning it off - if you can get into safe mode you maybe able to do a restore or reset your power management settings or just generally trouble shoot.
Also make sure you disconnect all hardware except essentials
Peter

Collapse -
I didn't mention the Power Scheme in bios
by TONI H / May 3, 2005 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor

although I thought of it because he said he was getting a 'no signal' from the monitor so until he can get that part fixed first, the bios won't be available. Thanks for bringing up another future aspect to have him check.......

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) I thought about it as well but went for the latter!!!
by AussiePete / May 3, 2005 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Similar problem
by ralphspoilsport / June 2, 2005 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor

I am working on a computer with a similar problem. I can boot up and everything is normal until just a few seconds after windows (98SE) is finished loading. Then the monitor does the same thing as described above. Only turning pc power off does any good, but then I still can't use the computer because the monitor shuts down again. I've cycled power to the monitor, checked the cable, removed and replaced the video card, reformatted the hard drive, and reloaded windows but to no avail. I have also tried a different monitor and gotten the same results.

I'm suspecting the mother board or video card and will try to get another video card to substitute but am puzzled and frustrated too.

Collapse -
Just a side comment
by Ray Harinec / June 2, 2005 10:31 AM PDT

Are you actually connecting and disconnecting the monitor from/to the system while it is powered on??? If you are you may find some new problems after one of them.

Collapse -
Hey guys and gals, thanks for all your help
by jdrebel / January 8, 2006 2:27 PM PST

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to all of you, but I've been working as a website troubleshooter, and been really busy with the migrations we've been having. My computer on the othe hand, has died a very slow death. I found out that my processor had shorted out, and had also taken the motherboard with it. Intel will not replace the processor, and the motherboard was about 6 days over the warranty. I have settled in with a new computer now, a little laptop, and I have had absolutely no problems with it. I'm still really mad at Intel, as they said I had a 3 year warranty against defects, and they would not even take a look at it.
But again, thanks a lot for all of your help, and if I have other questions, I'll be posting again...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.