To start with re-start your system!
Sounds like your system really needs cleaning, because you system doesnt know what a link is or runs slower than it should to download or just activate a link, and sometimes not at all!
All systems will succomb to Internet garbage, temporary files and improperly uninstalled programs.
Clean you Windows Registry, Empty all Temporary Directories, IE Temporary Files clean your drive for adware or worse and Defrag your HD.
You might find all these utilities in one program, but do get them or download them.
Another thing to keep in mind: Windows became a popular OS when computers came standard with to little memory and upgrading your Motherboard was something professionals did. So Bill decided to create an OS that would use the part of your HD to create virtual memory.
Most Windows users, and Im sure that you still use Virtual memory, which means you need to keep your hard drive about 50% to 40% empty so Windows has a place to work!
Here's my system info:
Dell Inspiron 16400
Intel T2050 @1.60 GHz
1.60 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM
1. When I click on a link from a search I get a Page Load Error - Failed to Connect message.
2. When I go to System Restore and click on it, nothing happens as if I never clicked on System Restore.
3. When I try to run Error Checking I get "Windows was unable to complete disk check" message.
4. When I click on Defragment I get "Disk defragmenter could not start" message.
5. When I first log on, I have to manually turn on windows firewall.
I was using AVG but over the weekend I couldn't get updates so I downloaded Avira AntiVir, which is running fine. I use the free version.
What should I do? I have finals coming up and can't lose my laptop.