I think I've been hijacked

by CaseStreet / December 4, 2008 9:42 AM PST

Here's my system info:

Dell Inspiron 16400
Windows XP
Intel T2050 @1.60 GHz
1.60 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

The problems:
1. When I click on a link from a search I get a Page Load Error - Failed to Connect message.

2. When I go to System Restore and click on it, nothing happens as if I never clicked on System Restore.

3. When I try to run Error Checking I get "Windows was unable to complete disk check" message.

4. When I click on Defragment I get "Disk defragmenter could not start" message.

5. When I first log on, I have to manually turn on windows firewall.

I was using AVG but over the weekend I couldn't get updates so I downloaded Avira AntiVir, which is running fine. I use the free version.

What should I do? I have finals coming up and can't lose my laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I think I've been hijacked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I think I've been hijacked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like it needs cleaning
by dadrcrpntr / December 4, 2008 3:37 PM PST

To start with re-start your system!

Sounds like your system really needs cleaning, because you system doesnt know what a link is or runs slower than it should to download or just activate a link, and sometimes not at all!

All systems will succomb to Internet garbage, temporary files and improperly uninstalled programs.

Clean you Windows Registry, Empty all Temporary Directories, IE Temporary Files clean your drive for adware or worse and Defrag your HD.

You might find all these utilities in one program, but do get them or download them.

Another thing to keep in mind: Windows became a popular OS when computers came standard with to little memory and upgrading your Motherboard was something professionals did. So Bill decided to create an OS that would use the part of your HD to create virtual memory.

Most Windows users, and Im sure that you still use Virtual memory, which means you need to keep your hard drive about 50% to 40% empty so Windows has a place to work!

Go Figure!

Collapse -
Virtual Memory
by CaseStreet / December 5, 2008 3:38 AM PST

I'll have to clean out some of my memory cause I'm at 75% used.

Collapse -
Which browser?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 5:45 PM PST

Which browser are you using? What happens if you coipy a link from a search, then paste that into the address bar?

Does the browser have any 3rd party toolbars installed, eg Google, or Yahoo? If so, disable/remove those.

Can you use another browser?

To check if you have any malware, goto http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and download and install their latest MalwareBytes software. Install it, open it and check for updates, then run a scan.

Mark

Collapse -
Nothing works
by CaseStreet / December 5, 2008 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Which browser?

I have the same problem with Firefox and IE. When I copy a link from a search and paste it into the addressbar, it works most of the times, except when it's a site like hijackthis or anyone dealing with getting help removing viruses (I'm surprised I can get on here). For example, I don't have access to any site that offers AVG download.

I'll try the toolbar removals and try downloading the malware to my home pc and transfer over.

I ran the ewido online scan last night, but after removing the 15 infected adware files, I still have the same problem.

Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2008 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing works

it sure sounds like malware infection.

When you get that MalwareBytes software, follow the instructions given in this post below;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=318786&messageID=2920105#2920105

The renaming of the MalwareBytes program .exe file is to fool any malware that looks for known anti-malware software and prevent it from installing or running. The added step of running the software in Safe Mode is because most, but not all, malware cannot get started in Safe Mode.

Instructions for starting in Safe Mode below;
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html#winxo

As good measure, run your anti-virus in Safe Mode as well. I know it may not be updated, but it may be enough to remove other known viruses until you can download updates for it.

Running these scans in Safe Mode, (separately), will take longer than in normal mode.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
CD Drive M.I.A.
by CaseStreet / December 5, 2008 12:39 PM PST
In reply to: In that case

So after starting my home PC and downloading upgrades and getting it running (it's been about a year), I was able to download Malwarebytes and copied it onto a CD. However, when I put the CD in my laptop, I couldn't locate my CD Drive. Now, no CDs work on my laptop and my CD Drive is MIA. Oh, and I don't have a flash drive either. What to do?

Collapse -
Do any CD's work?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2008 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: CD Drive M.I.A.

If not then your options are limited.

Did you try the CD in the CD drive in Safe Mode or Normal Mode? If Safe Mode only, try Normal mode.

Does anything show up in the Device Manager for the drive? (Right click My Computer, then Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager).

If that still doesn't work, then perhaps a CD drive cleaner disk may work, but if not, the laptop needs a new CD drive.

Do you have any USB ports? If so, you could try a USB CD drive or get a flash stick from somewhere, friend, or relative?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?