HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

I think i might need more ram

by kevjohn418 / May 7, 2007 10:53 AM PDT

I recently bought Vista and the ram gauge on the the gadget bar says 66 percent i currently have 1GB and i think i might need another, any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I think i might need more ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I think i might need more ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Three things...
by John.Wilkinson / May 7, 2007 11:08 AM PDT

1.) Some would note that ideally your RAM would always be near 100% usage. The reason is that the alternative to RAM usage is utilizing your hard drive for extra space, which is extremely slow in comparison. The more RAM Windows uses instead of hard drive space, the better. You can check Task manager to see how much "virtual memory" (paging file/hard drive space) is actually being used.

2.) Depending on what you are doing, there may be no need to worry. If, for instance, 66% is being used for the most memory-intensive tasks you performed, you're good to go.

3.) If you have integrated graphics as opposed to a stand-alone graphics card you can bump up your available RAM by 128MB-256B by purchasing a graphics card, which would also greatly improve your graphical performance. Why? Integrated graphics use system RAM as their source of memory (they have none of their own), and they are far slower in an effort to reduce cost.

Aside from that, 1GB is the minimum for 'premium' Vista performance, so, while acceptable, you would ideally want 1.5GB+ for multimedia and multitasking activities.

John

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks again John
by kevjohn418 / May 7, 2007 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Three things...
Collapse -
2 gig
by mopscare42 / May 7, 2007 11:11 AM PDT

Windows Vista runs much better with 2 gig of ram especially if you have Vista home premium or above with Aero.
I have 2 gig and mine says 42% most of the time just setting there.
Wayne

Collapse -
yea
by r9c / May 7, 2007 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: 2 gig

Windows vista does required a lot of RAM to run things smoothly,
my dell laptop which runs vista home basic and 512GB ram tends to run slow at some point so i plan to add another 1GB ram into it to hope the whole pc runs smoothly.

Collapse -
The more the merrier ...
by cgarrity / May 7, 2007 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: yea

Here's my RAM story. A few days ago I installed Vista Ultimate on my 15 month old computer with 1GB and it seemed to run fine (even better than it did with XP Pro.)

Last night I decided to take a look at the latest Flight Simulator X trial version available for download directly from MS. The trial version is about 990MB in apparently zipped format. While the download went fairly fast with my cable modem (about 20 minutes), finalizing the file took probably 30 more minutes.

I finally got it installed after much computer groaning and the demo ran fairly well. However, it's not a keeper as there is too much missing. So, my next step was to remove the program. Probably due to the size of the program, I was unable to successfully get rid of it last night. During the removal, my computer again groaned for about 1/2 hour or more without removing the program.

Today, my memory upgrade that I ordered (now 2GB) arrived and I installed it. Normal programs like Excel, Word, etc seem to run a little faster, but not that much. While I was "tooling" around with my new memory installed, I noticed that the FS Demo was still on my computer (I thought I actually got rid of it last night.)

So, once again, I clicked on it and requested it to be removed and this time, it was gone in about a minute. I have to assume that the extra GB of ram made a huge difference in handling this big delete. Much less disk swapping (groaning).

Bottom line. If you're going to be playing around with multi-tasking or big game programs, bite the bullet and get 2GBs of RAM.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.