Phones forum

General discussion

i think i made an mistake

by downloadking02 / July 27, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

i recently swicthed cell phone company from nextel to verizon i wanted to go with cingular but they wanted an $300 deposit and verizon didn't want any ok i didn't know until i got the phone that verizon disable the bluetooth on the phone i i can't use it to sync and transfer music and pic and ringtones to my phone now i don't want to leave and have to pay that crazy $175 o was hoping someone knew how i could hack my phone so i can use the bluetooth or am i just out of luck.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i think i made an mistake
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i think i made an mistake
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see any reason ...
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2007 5:36 AM PDT

why Verizon should block bluetooth on a phone.

- Did they tell you they did it? Did they tell you why? What do specs of that phone say about bluetooth?
- Can you exchange the phone for another model with bluetooth?
- What phone is it, by the way?

Kees

Collapse -
to be fair
by downloadking02 / July 27, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

just to be fair no verizon didn't tell me that they disabled bluetooth onmy phone, and i have the razor V3c and yes it has bluetooth on it. i was told by a co worker that verizon disabled the blue tooth on the phone i have because his girlfriend has the same type of phone and i belive that is what they told her and he is in to tech and i beleive that is the case so they can sell rigntones and pic but i may be wrong i just want to know if i can fix it

Collapse -
I'd start with asking verizon customer support.
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2007 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: to be fair

in stead of relying on what other people tell you.

If they sell you a crippled phone without telling you, probably you've got the right to cancel the contract and return the phone without paying an early termination fee.

Hope this helps and let us know what they have to say about the issue.

Kees

Collapse -
an update on an hour long game of phone tag
by downloadking02 / July 27, 2007 7:28 AM PDT

for those who are having the same trouble i am having with the bluetooth not being able to send pic and tone to your phone here is what i found out verizon did in fact ask to have bluetooth disabled on thier phone and will not enable it due to what they say " verizon doesn't want to be responsible in case something goes wrong" but what the truth is they want you to buy the crappy pic and tone off their site. and calling motorola will not help they told me that i had to call verizon and that they should unlock the bluetooth but when i did verizon told me that their phone do not have it bulit into the phone but you can only use it with the headset, oh and to switch from an 2 year plan to an 1 year it may cost you $120 but depending on how much you paid for your phone just to add that in , so i had no luck getting this fixed but if anyone out there has please let me know or just stay away from verizon if your planing on using bluetooth other than the headset feature

Collapse -
i think you are confused
by hbc111 / July 27, 2007 10:51 AM PDT

first of all
no body in verizon could use bluetooth to transfer music...pics and etc...
verizon bluetooth is only for the bluetooth head sets

so if you think that verizon disabled your bluetooth for music and picture...etc transfer
your wrong...

Collapse -
by downloadking02 / July 27, 2007 11:06 AM PDT

first off if a phone has bluetooth you can beam information from one place to another i trust you know this right maybe not verizon offers it vcast for music, pic, video, ringtones and wallpaper right and they want you to pay for this now if you were able to use bluetooth you wouldn't have to use vcast and you would be able to make your own tone , wallpaper, and send music and pic to your pc for free with out going thru them and another thing i just got off the phone with customer rep and i was told that verizon asked for their phone not to have this feature so if you wanna know you call yourself and find out call verizon and motorola and see the answer you will get don't get me wrong verizon does have great quality service very clear phone calls lots of extras but that one feature seem to missing is all i am saying

Collapse -
re-reply
by vfelix / July 28, 2007 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I have verizon too, I never knew about this block. What I did was to get pics and tones was put it on the micro SD and put it in the phone. Im not sure which RAZR I have but mine takes memory card. Before that also before I had the memory card I had the earlier RAZR without the slot and what I did was to use the usb link that came with the box and transfered stuff like that from my computer.

Collapse -
thank you
by downloadking02 / July 28, 2007 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: re-reply

i really want to thank you for the advice other people on here i guess thought i was knocking verizon which i wasn't i just didn't think that was cool i like the service and everything i just like technology and wanted to try it out on my phone and i wanted to know if i could put tone and things on my phone with out paying i understand that Verizon has to make money but give us a break and i wouldn't mind paying for the tones if they were like the whole song and not just 5 sec long and then repeats itself but i thank you for the advice

Collapse -
Problem Solved (maybe)
by AintNoMiddleAnymore / July 28, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

I am looking into Verizon, and was bothered by the Vcast songopoly. I asked a rep online and rep told me you can download your own music from your computer by purchasing Music Essentials Kit Software. It is $29.99. Sucks but better than $300 or $175. You need to check if it is compatible with your phone--look on Verizonwireless.com accessories and they list some for a few phone brands, then there is a caveat in each plan(May not support all <insert brand here> phones.
Sooooooooooooo just ask. Let me know if it works out.
Now, how do you like your reception with Verizon? My main concern is getting the server with the most reliable and clear reception.

Collapse -
re re reply
by downloadking02 / July 28, 2007 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved (maybe)

i know about the Vcast Essentials you can actually get from the CD that comes with the phone in the box and not have to pay the $29 bucks or just download it from the phone i didn't get the usb cable but it is only like $10 bucks i think not really sure. To me Verizon doesn't offer that many phone i do like the LG v8700 i haven't had a problem with service it is very reliable and i get very good reception because i had Sprint , Nextel, AT&T (before it was Cingular), Tracphone, T-Mobile, the only other service i liked we AT&T and Trac phone (but it is per paid) now Cingular is good my mom has it and were we live it is alot of trees and power line and she gets good service so out of all of the companies i would rate it like this Cingular, Verizon, Trac Phone i hope i was some help

Collapse -
Yes Verizon does since...
by knhinf / July 30, 2007 3:05 PM PDT

Yes verizon does cripple bluetooth on any phone since it had the first phone with bluetooth.
They do this so they can charge you anything you put on your phone.

Collapse -
i think i made an mistake
by dave1973 / August 3, 2007 11:46 AM PDT

Verizon has crippled bluetooth on Motorola phones since the V710. Since then, Verizon has listed on their phones which profiles they support. Verizon has opened up certain OBEX profiles, but not all of them, and usually have been LG phones. Samsung phones are starting to leave OBEX off their phones that even Alltel & USCC users are complaining about Samsung phones not having OBEX. For Motorola phones, some people have flashed their phones with the Alltel Motorola firmware, just to get all the profiles, and have the original UI, and not the Verizon UI. That's not easy for Samsung & LG phones, as they don't use seems like Motorola does, and if someone is lucky enough to find a similar model of an LG or Samsung, only voice & maybe text messaging will work.

Collapse -
thank you
by downloadking02 / August 3, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

i don't know much about cell phone firmware so i guess i'll just use the phone like it is but i thank you for the advice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?