Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Storage forum

General discussion

I think I have a corrupt file(s) on my external hdd

by scmarkham / July 8, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

I am running Vista on an Acer 9300 laptop and using a Maxtor One Touch III Mini Edition External HDD. This has been running fine up until a week ago. I think I have corrupt file(s) on there although I can't be sure. Last week when I plugged this in it wasn't recognised, although by attaching the hdd before I boot up seems to have solved that problem (it's plug and play - I shouldn't have to do that should I)? Anyway, I can see it in Device Manager and also in Disk Management which tells me that all partitions are healthy and it's running normally - it's not! I have used Acronis Disk Director Suite to recover partitions - again, this tells me everything is fine. I can sometimes open files on the hdd although not always and cannot delete the files that I think are the problem. I try and it tells me that they are going into the recycle bin and then my laptop freezes - something which it does a lot when the hdd is connected. THis is drving me mad now, I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to solve this problem without formatting - something which I am led to believe might not work anyway. Thanks guys!

Sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I think I have a corrupt file(s) on my external hdd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I think I have a corrupt file(s) on my external hdd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I should do:
by Kees Bakker / July 8, 2007 1:59 AM PDT

1. Run chkdsk to see if it detects (and repairs) any errors in the file system.

If not:
2. Try the drive on another PC. It could be a problem with the USB-connection.

If it gives errors there also:
3. Buy a new drive and hopefully transfer all my files to it before it collapses totally.

Kees

Collapse -
External hdd
by scmarkham / July 8, 2007 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: What I should do:

Kees

Thank you for replying.

I am currently running chkdsk, however, I have never done this before, I googled how to do it and I started by chkdsk /r, the program started to run and told me it was verifying files (stage 1 of 5) and 0 of 2560 file records processed. It only got this far and then went back to command prompt F:\> is this right, I don't think it's doing anything anymore!

USB is fine, other stuff works fine in these USBs and the hdd doesn't work on other pcs so I know it's that.

How can I transfer files to another drive when I'm not sure which one is corrupted?

Thanks

Sam

Collapse -
Re: corrupt files
by Kees Bakker / July 8, 2007 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: External hdd

Sam,

This doesn't look like a corrupted file to me. This looks like a hard disk that's gone south.

The only question left af0ter you buy a new hard disk: how much of these 2560 files are lost forever?

Be sure to format your new hard disk as NTFS. That's somewhat more failure resistant.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!