Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

i think i broke my registery???? DO I FORMAT AND REINSTALL??

by thewhitevanman / June 7, 2007 8:45 AM PDT

ok i have the following
intel p4 3.4gzh
win xp sp2
160gb hd
1mb ram
infinity pc running version 2.1
i have recently installed the nokia pc suit as i got the new N95 a few days in and it wanted to update so i did.
this then seem to crash the system, and further more highlight some other problems such as it now will not let me update my windows via auto or manual, so i reinstalled the pc suite but it wont do that either now.
ok ! so now i realise i have quite a problem on my hands, and to top it all off my panda security wont work!! downloaded avast and it said i had WIN32.CDX among some other nasty s. then IE stopped working properly then fire fox, have managed to patch them up but still very shaky and still cant update anything and panda is not playing either. so i used eusing reg cleaner found loads of problems, fixed those, still got all the problems, then tried winASO still got all the problems, which all seem to be loss d .dll files that are missing i also cant uninsall the bad programs because of the missing files. i would like to beat this myself at home and was going to format my c drive and reinstall windows (once i learned how!!!) which is why i am here WHAT SHOULD I DO IT DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!
thanks in advance
hoping you can help
stu

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i think i broke my registery???? DO I FORMAT AND REINSTALL??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i think i broke my registery???? DO I FORMAT AND REINSTALL??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let Us Know More About What You Have
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 9:28 AM PDT

Do you have "Recovery CD's" that came with the computer which are designed to restore the computer back to factory condition?

Do you have an XP CD which will only install the operating system? A drivers CD? Program CD's?

Does your computer have a Recovery partition, (maybe a D drive) which stores all the recovery data so you can perform the recovery without any extra CD's?

With things like the Recovery CD/DVDs or the Recovery Partition, it can be easy.. Simply place the disk in the disc drive, restart the computer, and it will prompt you with the options for recovery. (The Recovery partition option is done during boot or from the Start-Programs Menu. (You'll want the "destructive" type that wipes the drive of all data, then formats, then installs everything back to it's factory state.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
cheers
by thewhitevanman / June 7, 2007 9:53 AM PDT

thanks yes i do have a "product recovery dvd rom" but do not have a xp cd could you please explain how to use it, also by using it will it wipe all my files such as pictures and films ect? wow thanks for the quick reply as well!!
any other help is alway greatly appreciated

Collapse -
Malware damage...
by John.Wilkinson / June 7, 2007 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: cheers

You may have corrupt registry entries, but I assure you the registry isn't broken. It sounds like you encountered a malware infection that has corrupted Windows and partially disabled your internet connection. However, WIN32.CDX is a generic name that doesn't give any indication of what you may have been infected with. In addition, without knowing the exact file names and error messages it's not possible to determine an exact course of action.

The recovery system usually has two options. The first lets you perform a non-destructive recovery, which would repair Windows while leaving most of your programs, settings, and personal files intact. However, it's far from foolproof (it has been known to delete personal files on some occasions) and, if you are infected by malware, it would remain thereafter, as would any corruption of other software you have installed. The other option is to perform a destructive recovery, which would wipe all data, including your personal files, and give you a fresh start as if you just bought the computer again.

If you want we can try to guide you through repairing the problems without the system recovery discs, but we'll need more specific information as to each problem you are facing. On the other hand, if you use the system recovery discs you need to start by saving all of your personal files to a flash drive, external hard drive, etc. so that you don't risk losing them for good. Afterwards, insert your first system recovery CD, restart the computer, and press any key to boot from CD when prompted.

Let us know which way you would like to go and we'll do our best to help you get this problem fixed.

John

Collapse -
wow thanks
by thewhitevanman / June 7, 2007 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Malware damage...

wow thanks i never thought i could get so much help, sorry for the delay but i live in England so the time scale thing... well anyway, i have a 160gb hd of which i only use 60 max and i have already put things like "my pictures" onto dvds with a program called nero, also as this is just a family pc there are no unusual things to loose the bi gist things are the films/movies(depends where your from! ha) i can borrow a friends external hd which is 40gb i think everything else can be lost.
i have also found a "motherboard support cd" but not sure what that is, and i think i have al the other drivers.
the product recover cd does give the option for a "full" or partial install which seems to as you suggest. so i think i would opt for the full destructive run as i don't have the logs for all the issues i have had,but to give an example when i try to uninstall the nokia pc suite it get half way through the uninstall and say something about part of the directory is missing so to reinstall the disk but when i do that it says the same thing? also when i tried to uninstall something else it keeps saying "setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down, but i can tell you that the win32.cdx problem have given itself a lot of other names as when i ran avast last it found the same thing over and over but all with slightly different names and these are now all "in the chest" i have managed to get this thing to be safe for 2 full years and i thought i had every defence for this kind of thing just goes to show how wrong you can be. anyway if you can help me get through this i owe you all a bottle of something nice!!
oh by the way when i put in the recovery cd it opens up a list of things to do and it seems i could do the reset without having to reset the computer and boot up the cd there is an option i can click to do it i think. thanks once again.
stu

Collapse -
this is the windows update error
by thewhitevanman / June 7, 2007 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: wow thanks

found the problem with the windows update its this

Error number: 0x80245003
WU_E_REDIRECTOR_ID_SMALLER The redirectorId in the downloaded wuredir.cab is smaller than the cached cab.
does this mean anything to you guys.......just a thought?
thanks again
stu

Collapse -
For That Update Error
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 1:12 AM PDT

Try this:

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type: net stop wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
3. Type: rmdir /s %windir%\softwaredistribution\wuredir, and then press ENTER.
4. Type: net start wuauserv.
5. Use the Windows Update Web site again to install updates.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
it worked.........sort of
by thewhitevanman / June 8, 2007 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: For That Update Error

thanks have now done that, and that has helped me to update windows again , so now that's working, now i just seem to have a few thing that i can neither install, or un-install. again the nokia pc suite and and old game, or 2 and panda even though i have reinstalled that it keeps not working properly and i have even taken avast off!! i am starting to have pc's a LOT!! i am at a loss as to what to do i think i am gonna have to use the recovery cd. i am gonna try again then put the list or errors on here see if anyone knows what to do (it is probably a case of P.I.C.N.I.C, lol) once again many thanks
stu

Collapse -
For the uninstallation...
by John.Wilkinson / June 8, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

When the uninstaller is faulty or the log file is missing there are a couple things you can do:

1.) Download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, selecting those programs you wish to remove, if they are listed.

2.) Browse through C:\Program Files and delete the folders associated with the programs you wish to uninstall.

3.) Run CCleaner and RegSeeker to clean up the remnants left behind.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
hhhmmm...ok what now???
by thewhitevanman / June 8, 2007 10:57 PM PDT

ok did all that and now the system seems quite stable, and for that i am truly greatful, however i am still left with the following problems.
still cant remove some programs although in add/remove programs they are now a lot smaller ie 0.86mb but when i click uninstall one of them says "setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" this then gives me 2 options debug or close both have no effect.
one of the other programs when doing the same thing brings up a chose set up language box then when i click ok it says "error extracting support files, the system could not find the support files. now i am not too fussed about this but i think i could be a problem in the future however what is killing me is i realy need the nokia pc suite and when i put the disc in its saying it is installed but i have as far as i am aware deleted all traces of it and the disc will not let me reinstall it as it says it is installed, it does still show on my programs list in the start list but the only option is to uninstall it and when this is clicked it says "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed".
any sugestions as to what to do with this would be much apprecated

Collapse -
For the Nokia issue...
by John.Wilkinson / June 10, 2007 3:39 PM PDT

Sorry for the late response...I lost track of the thread. I have found a likely solution to your Nokia PC Suite issues, though. If you click here you can download an external removal tool from Nokia Europe designed for use when the uninstaller fails. With a little luck that will clean it up an let you perform a clean installation of the suite.

For the rest, be sure to run CCleaner and RegSeeker...it may resolve a good portion of the corrupt installation issues.

Let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
thanks once again
by thewhitevanman / June 10, 2007 4:50 PM PDT
In reply to: For the Nokia issue...

cheers, thats helped i have now fixed the pc suite issue, still cant get the others off the system but hey i think i can live with is as there not anything i wish to reinstall, but the computer seems to be working realy well now have reinstalled ie7, although i dont use it much as i prefer firefox, but i still have a few little things in ie to sort as it crashs after 4-8 pages and onlt task mgr will turn it off, but i think with a little tweeking i can sort that out.
once again i have to say thanks so much for all your help. if ever you happen to find yourself in the north of england the first drink is on me.
thanks once more
stu

Collapse -
No problem...glad to hear it worked out!
by John.Wilkinson / June 11, 2007 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks once again

And if IE continues to be a problem just let us know.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!