Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

I temporarily lost my internet

by Dragon / March 26, 2005 10:40 AM PST

I have a Win 98 SE and an Accton Een1207 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter with a DSL connection my wife and I share. If you need more info on my puter, let me know.

Day before yesterday, I lost my connection. At first, I thought my card was shot, and I was about to get another one, but the following day, my wife lost hers. I called my ISP and determined that our router was bad, since a direct connection from the DSL modem to her computer resulted in an Internet connection.

I had already deleted my network adapter when I first had probems, with the idea I could reload my driver from the Win 98 CD. Since I couldnt immediately find the correct Win 98 CD, I downloaded the driver to her puter on A, then transfered it to my puter. Im trying to figure out what to do with it, now that I have it.

I think I may still have a bad card, but its very coincidental that we both lost our connections at -about- the same time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I temporarily lost my internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I temporarily lost my internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
temporarily lost my internet
by Stan Chambers / March 26, 2005 11:17 AM PST

If you have the driver copied to a floppy disk, put the floppy disk in your computer, then from the Control Panel run the add new hardware wizard to install the driver.
When Windows finds the ethernet card, click the Have
Disk button, then browse to the A drive to find the driver.
Best of Luck

Collapse -
Yeah, thats what I was doing, but
by Dragon / March 27, 2005 8:45 AM PST

for some reason I was having a hard time getting it to 'see' the driver.

I finally finagled it to see it and get it installed. It asked me if I wanted to reboot, so I clicked 'yes'. During the boot I get a message saying, "While initializing, invalid VXD dynamic link call to device #28, sservice 800A. Your Windows Configuration is invalid. Run the Windows setup program to correct this problem.

Should I physically remove the adapter and see what happens after another reboot, or is this more serious?

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 27, 2005 9:12 PM PST
Collapse -
Part of those instructions involve
by Dragon / March 28, 2005 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

inputting the path to the banyan vines client files.

Where do I find that path?

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 28, 2005 8:31 PM PST
Since I couldnt immediately find the correct Win 98 CD, I downloaded the driver to her puter on A, then transfered it to my puter. Im trying to figure out what to do with it, now that I have it.

The location of the underlined portion above.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Are you saying the driver=banyan vines client files?
by Dragon / March 29, 2005 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!