Question

I spend extra 1000$ on rtx2060 laptop got gtx1060 performanc

My MSI laptop benchmark is like budget, last gen laptop. SPecs:
GS75 Stealth 8SE
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit Ver.1803(OS build 17134.753)
BIOS Version: E17G1IMS.105
BIOS Release Date: 2019/02/12
EC Version: 17G1EMS1.1020125201909:14:25
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 16 GB @ 1333 MHz
- 16 GB, DDR4-2667, Samsung M471A2K43CB1-CTD
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 6144 MB
Graphics: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
VBIOS Version: 90.06.2d.40.49,6291456
Drive: SSD, SAMSUNG MZVLB512HAJQ-00000, 476.94 GB
Network: Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
SHIFT mode: SportMode

Now my 3dMark (fire strike) scores is 12895 while minimum for the hardware is 13646 and competitors laptop have 15500.
Forza Horizon 4 benchmark screenshot comparison shows that my fps is similar to gtx1060m which technically is 35% slower. The graphics card is almost identical to gtx 1070m which my fps in nowhere near to.

Also iv tried playing Kingdom Come Deliverance, where i should get 66fps ultra, yet i get 30-55 on high settings. Did i get scamed ?
Also a short demo video: https://vimeo.com/334446865 frames should never go that low. crazy. Is this an out of season april fools joke ? I mean it must be, defective?

Post was last edited on May 6, 2019 11:53 AM PDT

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: I spend extra 1000$ on rtx2060 laptop got gtx1060 performanc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I spend extra 1000$ on rtx2060 laptop got gtx1060 performanc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
No scam.

The more you look into laptop gaming the more you see units all over the map.

Now if you felt like it wasn't a good deal, NOTHING can change your mind. Go for a refund and get the unit you think delivered what you really wanted.

-> That aside I continue to encounter folk that compare desktops to laptops in this area. The laptop does not have to cooling available to run both CPU and GPU at full tilt. So the laptop maker may have to de-tune these to avoid a melt down.

- Collapse -
excuse me, I paid for 8 gb gpu but got 4gb gpu ...

My point is on this particular laptop, as others laptops with similar or identical specs have good framerates. While mine is almost double the price of gtx 1060 laptop YET with gtx 1060 performance.
I looked at gpu benchmarks on notebookcheck.net before buying to make sure i get the disered frames. Yet my frames are far off, even with enough cpu power.

- Collapse -
If you feel there's fraud.

Then you state that and get a refund. The benchmarks often don't report all the RAM so be sure you are not being mislead on that. I use Speccy a lot and it's always coming up short on the GPU RAM.

About double the price. That's what I see for the latest "anything." You are paying the premium. There's nothing new about that. Just new buyers that didn't know.

- Collapse -
Answer
Second thought.

The 2060 is pretty much the 1060 with added texture units and that AI shading. I will not go on as all that is on the web.

Let's get down to it: "The GeForce GTX 1060 has a 141 MHz higher core clock speed than the RTX 2060, but the RTX 2060 has 40 more Texture Mapping Units than the GeForce GTX 1060."

So right there you see this will be a horse race. Both are champions but depending on track conditions (which benchmark or game), the jockey (that's you and your game settings) and the owner's choice of upbringing (that's clock rates, cooling, etc.) the results SHALL differ.

Nope. I disagree the RTX 2060 is like the 1070. Closer to the 1060 but most makers clocked the mobile 2060 lower than the mobile 1060.

- Collapse -
PS. If you use the drivers from Microsoft.

"RTX was disabled when using the Windows drivers" is a common complaint.

After working with folk over the years I worry that the new owners are ill equipped to get their gaming rig up to its full potential. So many are used to others taking care of such work.

Fast forward to today and I run into new owners that are incredulous that we have to do such work on a new laptop.

- Collapse -
never heard of that problem

I have a full time job, starting a business, wife and i just want to play some games. Instead, i am forced to spend all my free time researching computer parts and getting frustrated as most of the component parts have same names but diffrent specifications plus you add all the variations in models, performance, specs and hardware interaction it quickly becomes a nightmare for a casual user. I still dont understand what is wrong with my laptop or is it just like that.

- Collapse -
As folk discover

They can't buy a Windows gamer laptop and start gaming. They can try but if the maker built it a month or more ago it's out of date right out of the box.

-> YOU CLAIM YOU WERE DEFRAUDED ON THE GPU RAM.

Game over. It's time to start the RMA unless the seller or maker can show you how to measure this. I can't do this for you. I will write that SPECCY and a few other tools get it wrong.

And your picture shows over 4GB RAM so it's likely it is exactly what the maker said it was.

PERFORMANCE is going to be all over the map as we have variables such as driver versions, Windows updates, settings and more.

The casual user does not benchmark like above. You are no longer a newbie and starting the journey to unravel the mysteries.

- Collapse -
2060 laptop is far from 1060 laptop

I included a screenshot which you can view in 1080p in new tab, it shows fps difference in 1060 and 1070, the 1070 is in fact the closest gpu to 2060 with frame difference of 5. Source: jarrod'stech, notebookcheck.net.

CNET Forums

Forum Info