Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I see this guys back in the news.

by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 11, 2015 8:45 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I see this guys back in the news.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I see this guys back in the news.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I liked one of the titles given to the piece
by Steven Haninger / May 11, 2015 9:37 AM PDT

that GZ was in trouble...and that he was involved in a shooting incident. Many folks would just read the title and nothing more. That's all they need to pass further judgement on the guy. Still looking for an honest news outlet here.

Collapse -
Agree...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 11, 2015 10:49 AM PDT

the bloke is a target (literally), but it was going to happen. I just can't understand the thing with race, colour, creed in the modern world. The great thing with Wales, the miners, and Paul Robeson, was a wonderful thing. I believe there's a film about it. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proud_Valley
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Don't get me started. Well...too late
by Steven Haninger / May 11, 2015 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Agree...

I don't think we'll see the racial thing go away until there's no more market for it. Yes...market. Much is to be gained by keeping that pot roiled up. It won't go away until we let it die a natural death. We do that by not letting the topic keep rolling off our tongues. It may take generations and that's one of the problems. We think legislators can write laws that make things hunky-dory right away but sometimes it just causes more turbulence when changes are forced on people rather than let the people realize that their perceptions may have been incorrect. It just takes time and we are too impatient.

I was disturbed by this report on our First Lady's graduation speech at an African-American university. I didn't get to hear more than the news folks released but what they did release is part of our problem, IMO. We need to keep bemoaning our past and maybe even color it with more intensity than it was in reality. Not good.

As for mining history, you bring something up that has interested me for quite some time and it's how folk song has treated the darker parts of such eras. It seems that, in olden days, struggle became a source of pride rather than simply opportunities to moan about "the man". Mining songs from the British Isles are quite different from ones telling of US history. One of my favorites is called "Sea Coalers" but I'm not sure where it's from...Scotland maybe?...but it tells of people who'd rather risk their lives in dangerous work than live on the dole. That doesn't happen here.

Collapse -
It would help if all laws avoided race
by James Denison / May 12, 2015 8:00 AM PDT

But since the 60's we've increasingly added race based laws and the end of it may become a race war.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!