General discussion

I see Mark made a post a short while ago

he must have missed the end.

It appears that at least 4 time zones have survived The End Of The World. Since it was supposed to occur at 6pm local time. ...

I'll post back in 1 hr and 5 minutes to let how AST makes out.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I see Mark made a post a short while ago
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I see Mark made a post a short while ago
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Yep, I'm still he.....!
- Collapse -
(NT) LOL!
- Collapse -
That's not how it's supposed to work

You're supposed to see people around you just vanish. If you're still here, you have up to 5 more months but they will be ones with much suffering. You might want to stock up on something to relieve the pain you're about to feel.

- Collapse -
With only a few months to go, to heck with the mortgage

I'll invest in some upgrade liquor. I don't buy liquor anymore, only a little wine and beer, but I still like some of it.

- Collapse -
A different approach

I think it was Martin Luther who said that even if he knew the world would end the next day he would still plant his apple tree today.

- Collapse -
Guess he really liked apples

or maybe applejack?

- Collapse -
OK, I'll post back in 5 months

BTW no one that I know has vanished.

- Collapse -
(NT) You didn't get the email either?
- Collapse -
Just a sputter...looks like maybe a dry run
- Collapse -
That's the sign then

The Apocalypse has started!

It just needs to gather up speed.

I did have a thought though..

These doom-predictors, they've been wrong for the last few hundred years or so haven't they. But they only have to be right the once! Sad

Mark

- Collapse -
But we can rest assured that, at least,

they will never get the chance to say "I told you so". Wink

- Collapse -
Yeah, that's a comfort.
Happy
- Collapse -
the best doom and gloom was 1000 AD

Arch Bishop Usher's time line made it especially significant for the predictors.

- Collapse -
Longer than that:
Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1 Thess 4 Paul is dead long since. But he 'proved himself ready to be resurrected to heavenly life at the proper time.
When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? Acts 1:6
Of course, the reply to was, And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

Of course, most of the righteous are not nor ever were to get a heavenly reward.
The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever. Ps 37:29

That's an idea alien to most churchgoers, but not to 'their Lord Jesus':
But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
Blessed [are] the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Ps 37:11; Mt 5:5

The best advice is this:
Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Ps 37 again.
Here it is in a more accurate translation:
Keep silent before Jehovah And wait longingly for him. Do not show yourself heated up at anyone making his way successful, At the man carrying out [his] ideas.

- Collapse -
I am a little concerned about one thing with this ...

The fool who predicted the end of the world for yesterday was obviously delusional. He was wrong (as expected) and he will be mocked. Unfortunately, he will be mocked not merely for being a fool. Some will mock him for believing that there is a God who will eventually bring an end to the world. That is a dangerous and illogical leap.

The fact that this fool was wrong about the date/time does not mean he was wrong about everything.

- Collapse -
"....does not mean he was wrong about everything."

But, of course, your logic here does not apply to politicians. Wink

- Collapse -
I don't think a politician CAN be wrong about everything ..

Let's face it. If a politician were wrong about EVERYTHING he/she would never have been elected. So it follows that all politicians are right about at least a few things some of the time. Unfortunately, it is also true that all politicians are wrong about a lot of stuff.

The challenge is distinguishing the situations. I'm afraid I know too many people who have adopted the simplistic heuristic: Person A is good. Always. Person B is bad. Always.

- Collapse -
Indeed. We were noting today that it will make our

preaching more difficult. Tarred with the same brush.
BTW as I understand it, he is [theologically] wrong about almost all of what he teaches. Not about a caring and involved God, though. And that God is not one who 'dares not speak his name'.

Irony is that the theme scripture for today's WT study article is Mt 24:44! But our study was about biblical examples of Noah and Moses, both ridiculed for 'being ready' for the impossible; not about dates as such. Informative, upbuilding, and spiritually healthy. Next week, Jeremiah, in the same vein.

- Collapse -
Tarred with the same brush.
Tarred with the same brush.

What do you mean? Was this preacher a Russellite also?
- Collapse -
So ...

junkies won't go, but they won't care? Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) For Steven, of course: How it's supposed to work

CNET Forums