TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I saw a Blue Ray demo,,,,,,

by jcrobso / August 4, 2006 1:53 AM PDT

I was by a CC last night so I stopped in. Spent about 15min watching, they had a looped demo DVD playing, so after 15min it was back to the start.
OK it looked GOOD as GOOD as the best PBS I have watched.
Since this was a "special" demo the it looked great, of course. I would rather watch a full movie than just few "special" clips.
Finaly one of the CC guys came over and asked if he could help me. I replied "Yes, when the Blue Ray players are $400." He said, that won't be for a while. He asked me what I though of the picture? I said, It looks as good a Channel 11's(local PBS) best HD.
He said something about the HDTV would upscalle Channel 11's 1080i to 1080p. I did correct him,, the correct term is deinterlace and upsacling would be 720p to 1080p. OK well, I just couldn't resist.
Aren't thoes of you that work for BBY and CC glad you don't have me for a customer!!! John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I saw a Blue Ray demo,,,,,,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I saw a Blue Ray demo,,,,,,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CC employee...
by bevillan / August 4, 2006 2:02 AM PDT

I'm sure he rolled his eyes and was reminded why he hates working there after you left haha.

As far as Blu-ray vs HD-DVD quality goes...I read a review of a movie that is offered on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray formats by Warner Bros and the reviewer actually preferred the quality of the HD-DVD better. I guess there is some scaling issue with Blu-ray right now that screws up part of the image during certain action sequences.

Collapse -
Check out a first look...
by gina0219 / August 4, 2006 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: CC employee...
Collapse -
Low Price Sometimes = Equals Poor Ouality
by sbrasch99 / August 5, 2006 8:43 AM PDT

I sure hope that this time around in the battle between Blue-Ray Vs Hd-DVD the best picture quality wins. I have both Bata and VHS the Bata was far superior over VHS, but price of product was the determining factor by most at that time not quality.

SIDE COMMENT: I have not been impressed by the picture quality of either new formates, maybe I could give these new formates a grade of 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 as 10 being the high end. My DVD player with a high grade DVD provides excellent pictures on my HDTV therfore I am being kind by giving a grade 1 to these new formates.

Marc

Collapse -
Low Price Sometimes = Equals Poor Ouality
by sbrasch99 / August 5, 2006 8:44 AM PDT

I sure hope that this time around in the battle between Blue-Ray Vs Hd-DVD the best quality wins. I have both Bata and VHS. Bata was far superior over VHS, but price of product was the determining factor by most at that time not quality.

SIDE COMMENT: I have not been impressed by the picture quality of either new formates, maybe I could give these new formates a grade of 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 as 10 being high end.

Marc

Collapse -
"I'm sure he rolled his eyes"
by jcrobso / August 4, 2006 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: CC employee...

The other saleman came over also, My feeling is, "If you are going to use techincal terms,,,use them correctly"
I'm 61 and still cable of learing new things, so I feel the younger people in thier 20s, 30s and 40s etc. should be able to learn the correct use of terminology.
My guess it that the NEXT version of the HD-DVD/BRay players will be much better and lower cost.
One advantage that Laser disk had is that the resoultion(480~500 lines) was more than most TVs of that era could display, and nothing else to compaire it with.
It wasn't untill the mid to late '80s that TVs with S-Video inputs could display 500+ lines. Once Big screen TVs with S-video inputs became popular Laser disk sales took off. John

Collapse -
QUESTION FOR JCROB ?
by stewart norrie / August 5, 2006 9:13 AM PDT

Did the blue ray player look better than a 1080I sourse? what brand of t.v. and screen size did you see the demo on? As you know I have pre-ordered a blur ray player and can hardly wait to see how it looks on my crap-y blobisha 72" piece of junk This is the what 4674 says about my horrible d.l.p. t.v. and as I have said a million times If I thought a Sony had a better picture than a d.l.p. set I would have bought it in a heart beat have a nice day all stewee

Collapse -
Did the blue ray player look better than a 1080I sourse
by jcrobso / August 6, 2006 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: QUESTION FOR JCROB ?

Hi Stew, 1080 is 1080 is 1080,, the i or p realy dosen't make that BIG of a difference.
As I said the demos look as good as the 1080i PBS or Jay Leno or other GOOD HD broadcasts.
It should look like the HD Dish programming you get. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.