Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I really want to know on how to enable my hyperthreading

by jordanllgg45 / November 6, 2010 3:41 PM PDT

I am having some trouble because I have like no idea on how to enable my hyperthreading or install my second cpu. But I already set my ACPI to Multiprocessor in my Device Manager, but that didn't help for me at all. And I only have 1 Cpu graph showing in my Task Manager right now. But what I really want is 2 Cpu graphs to show up in my task manager a lot! I also tried to edit my bootloader, but it didn't work for me at all. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 processor. And the gigahertz speed of it is about 2.80. But my Pentium 4 processor is not that new. It is older. So what I am thinking is that it may not support hyperthreading. I actually looked up these Pentium 4 processors on the Intel site, and it said that the 3.06 Gigahertz Pentium 4 processors support hyperthreading technology. It said that right on the box of the processor. And then the 2.80 gigahertz Pentium 4 processor said that there was no hyperthreading technology support on this box. I bet because it is older than the 3.06 gigahertz one. Oh well. But I found out that there are 2 kinds of Pentium 4 processors which are 2.80 gigahertz. And one said it supports hyperthreading technology. And the other Pentium 4 said it did not have hyperthreading technology. But all I am saying is that I hope my computer has hyperthreading technology support. I think that it might have it for sure, but the problem is that I cannot seem to install the second Cpu or to enable my hyperthreading. And my bios is really old and outdated too! It says that my bios is like from 2004. And that's not good at all. And I do not even have a hyperthreading technology option in my bios to enable or disable it. Now that is really bad! I am so upset with this. But I looked up my computer online which was Dell Dimension 4600, and it said it came with hyperthreading technology support. So why can't I get the second Cpu graph to show up in my Task Manager for? Because I only have one 1 cpu graph. And I really want 2 cpu graphs! So please help me out here on this awful situation that I am in, and please guide me through this so that I can enable my hyperthreading and install my second cpu. Because I looked up my computer and it said that is has hyperthreading technology. So I am really sure that is correct. Well anyway, sorry for this long letter, but I am trying to make a point here on what I am saying so that you really understand what is going on here. Because I so upset frustrated about this. So what should I really put into mt bootloader? So just explain to me on what to put into my bootloader so that I can finally see 2 Cpu graphs in my Task Manager. Then I will be much happier, that's for sure. So there you have it. And please write back to me as soon as you possibly can. So this way I will know on how to enable my hyperthrading and also have at least 2 Cpu graphs in my task manager showing up. So don't forget to get back to me as soon as possible. And I will be waiting for my response from you very soon! So thank you very much now and have a good night.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I really want to know on how to enable my hyperthreading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I really want to know on how to enable my hyperthreading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: hyperthreading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 6, 2010 7:36 PM PDT
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32435435/hyperthreading-cpu-but-2nd-cpu-not-shown.aspx is an example where updating the BIOS did the trick. Only Dell tech support can tell if they have an updated BIOS, where to get it, how to install it and if it would make a difference on YOUR machine.

Interesting also:
http://echeng.com/journal/2005/05/28/enabling-hyperthreading-in-windows-xp/
tells about a difference between XP Home and XP Pro. You didn't even tell which of these 2 you have. So it could also be that you would have to buy a new version of XP to get it working. Only you an decide if you find this important enough to pay that much to solve it.

And, of course, it's not proven yet that your machine will be faster when you get it working. But it surely will look better!

Kees
Collapse -
On the Pentium 4
by Jimmy Greystone / November 6, 2010 11:07 PM PDT

On the Pentium 4, hyperthreading was mostly just hype. It was very limited in its utility, because ultimately you still only had a single-core CPU. That's why Intel scrapped it for about two generations of CPU, only reintroducing it with their Core i line of processors where there were multiple cores and a much improved architecture.

A P4 CPU is really probably better left with hyperthreading disabled. Performance would likely suffer if it were to be enabled. You already have an arm tied behind your back because it's a fairly early P4 CPU, no need to tie its legs together and make it hop instead of walk.

Collapse -
My apps did run faster with HT enabled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2010 12:35 AM PDT

But these are my apps that I wrote so I know they use HT. Fast forward to today and it's no hype. Back in a day the old guard poo-poo'd that and multiple CPUs.

Common causes are BIOS settings and changes to the boot.ini and registry. A stock settings of the BIOS and a clean install of XP has yet to show this to fail.

Then again what CPU is installed? You didn't tell. Not all 2.8 Pentium 4 CPUs had HT. Be specific and reveal the Intel model number.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?