HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I really need help with this powerpoint

by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 22, 2005 10:43 AM PST

I have Microsoft Powerpoint on my desktop, but I need it on my laptop. I lost my cd for Powerpoint, so I burn the one I have on my desktop and burn that file to a blank cd. After I burned the cd, I inserted the disc on my laptop. I screen comes up and I see the powerpoint icon. When I click the icon it says "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application", anyone know why it says this????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I really need help with this powerpoint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I really need help with this powerpoint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
it sounds as if you copied the program
by jonah jones / November 22, 2005 10:56 AM PST

and not the install files...
(e.g. if you copy c:\windows it won't run either)

if you need just the powerpoint viewer, it can be downloaded from microsoft.com...

hope this helps

jonah

Collapse -
Powerpoint
by mrkhlp / November 22, 2005 11:04 AM PST

It sounds like you burned a powerpoint presentation or shortcut not the program to the cd. You can't copy the program from your desktop unless what you copied was a copy of the original CD. In which case there would be more than one file on the CD and by the sounds of it thats all you have on the CD. You'll need to get a CD to reinstall it. Also it's not really legal to do.

Collapse -
What I use. Open Office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:35 AM PST

Open Office from http://www.openoffice.org should suffice. If you don't need to edit it, then go get the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer from mother.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Forgot about that one
by mrkhlp / November 23, 2005 7:39 AM PST

Also 602PC SUITE is a freebee and works with all the microsoft stuff.

Collapse -
WordPerfect Office
by thought_stazi / November 23, 2005 7:53 AM PST

Can be had for pretty low cost, and will also interoperate pretty well with Office files.

IBM is still selling SmartSuite, though it doesn't look like it's been updated in a few years.

And finally, there's OpenOffice's commercial cousin, StarOffice.

Mac users don't get WordPerfect anymore, and no SmartSuite, but there is iWork which has a word processor and presentation app. Rumor has it Apple is working on a spreadsheet app, and possibly a simple database app as well.

*nix users have the option of KOffice, which may or may not work, depending on the file you're trying to open, in addition to OpenOffice and StarOffice... You can also probably get Office to run using a program like CrossOver.

That should cover about all the options there are out there.

Collapse -
I have a problem
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 26, 2005 1:32 PM PST

I downloaded the program you have suggested. When I downloaded it, I got another folder on my desktop. Iclicked on it and it just had some icons like an icon with file cabinets, a notepad, etc. I want to use the draw feature but do not know how, there was no link or icon that proviede me with the draw feature.

Collapse -
Thanks for everyones help
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 24, 2005 1:09 AM PST

Yeah thanks for everyones help. I appreciate it, maybe I did burn it the wrong way, and maybe I shouldn't do it. I need to use the powerpoint not for the presentation, but for ERD modeling. Well basically all I need to do is go to basic shapes in Powerpoint, use the rounded edge square and make lines connecting the rounded edge squares. All this is for database modeling for a business relationship. Like for instance this is an ERD realtionship. A store may have one or more customers, but each customer may go to one or more stores. The store and customer are each entities. I would connect both entities with a crows foot and dotted lines. Anyone know what I am talking about?? Anyways I'll try to download some of the free downloads, see how far I get.
Thank you everyone for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.