General discussion

I Purchased 2 LN46C650 and want to UPGRADE DVD AND VCR

I am in a little bit of a delema, new tv`s old eqipement. so I want to know which is the best and most reasonable way to record my HD tv programs so I can watch them at a later time, but at the same time have a vcr to copy my home family pictures from VCR to Dvd. 2 separate units 1 combo unit or a DVD recorder and a external HD hooked to my Bell receiver. I am going blind from reading all the forums so a good clean opinion would be welcome.
Thanks ,
Mike

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I Purchased 2 LN46C650 and want to UPGRADE DVD AND VCR
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I Purchased 2 LN46C650 and want to UPGRADE DVD AND VCR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You are asking a good question. The problem with most HD

The problem is that most HD content is copy protected. So that makes the best recorder to be the one that comes from your supplier of HD content.

Bob

- Collapse -
I Purchased 2 LN46C650 and want to UPGRADE DVD AND VCR

fshngmgc,

Neither a VCR or a DVD-Recorder will record in HD. Your best bet for that would be to get a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) to record HD shows. Otherwise, the shows can be recorded in Standard Definition, and then upconverted to HD, although that may not produce the best possible picture.

However, transferring VCR to DVD can be done with the Samsung DVD-VR320 and DVD-VR325 models.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
question

Thanks for the reply, I just have one more pertinant question and that being, if you hook up an external hard drive to the HD receiver from Bell do you not record in HD which in real time is the same as a PVR is it not, and if so can you copy that to a bluray recorder

Thanks,
Mike.

- Collapse -
question

fshngmgc,

Probably not, as noted for R. Proffitt's reasoning - HD content is copy protected and we can't bypass that. I have no idea how you'd record it to a Blu-Ray disc except via computer, but it may be possible if you're using a tuner card and software that would allow you to do that. For the TV/Blu-Ray player setup, that's not a possibility at this time that I'm aware of.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info