HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

i pulled out my hardrive on my laptop probably a mistake

by safeman4 / June 16, 2009 3:53 PM PDT

i have an acer aspire 3620 which was running windows xp home,40 gig hd,256 meg ram.well to make long story short i pulled the back cover off for the ram cards to see how they are installed and also the cover for the hardrive and pulled it and installed it back as for everything else i put back like it was i pushed the power on and all i get is a blank screen the hdd indicator lights up for a few seconds then goes off and hear the cd drive do its thing and thats about it i get no picture no beeps or anything i beleive i killed it but can somebody tell me how so i can fix it or get it fixed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i pulled out my hardrive on my laptop probably a mistake
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i pulled out my hardrive on my laptop probably a mistake
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am leary of laptops
by lacsr / June 16, 2009 10:05 PM PDT

because I am not familiar with how to get to the innards but whenever I work on the hard drive, I unplug the AC power supply and then remove the battery. Then change the hard drive. If you did not do that, it may have been damaged. Try a bootable CD - like the XP install disk to see if it will boot to that. You may nave to repair the XP install or even replace the hard drive, if it is damaged.
You could also try a Linux Live CD to boot to and check the hard drive with diagnostics software.

Collapse -
Are you sure
by Jimmy Greystone / June 17, 2009 12:07 AM PDT

Are you sure you put the drive back in correctly? And is it an ATA or SATA drive? Did it have a bunch of metal pins on the back, or was it more like some metal contacts under a plastic hood?

Collapse -
That happenned to ME!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 1:09 AM PDT

There were 2 causes of this and one I never found an easy cure. Here goes.

1. I had some USB printer, hard disk, or other device plugged in and on some Acers, HPs and likely other machines the machine turns on and does nothing. Fix? Unplug ALL usb devices and try again. Very annoying and does not help everyone but it is now welded onto my list of things to try.

2. I tapped the power button on my Vista Acer laptop. It shutdown just fine. I installed more RAM and it would not boot! It just was a blank screen. I removed the RAM and it booted the next try. YES I HAD PULLED THE AC AND BATTERY DURING INSTALL. But that wasn't it.

Fix? Don't tap the power button as it was set to go into hibernation. Instead do a real shutdown, power off via the windows menu. Then I removed the battery, AC, installed the RAM and then put in the battery, AC and it booted fine with Windows reporting the added RAM.

Very repeatable and I tried but could not fix this short of removing the hard disk to place on another machine to delete "hiberfil.sys"

The advice prior to this is good and I won't duplicate their advice but add my 2 entries.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.