TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I posted this in the Samsung forum and never got an answer

by hpygolky_64 / February 2, 2009 12:09 AM PST

I am so very disappointed that no one replied in the Samsung forum. What good is that forum is no one reads or answers the questions? I thought maybe I would have better luck in this forum. Thank you.

Samsung LCD TV LN40A550 and Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-P1500
by hpygolky_64 - 15/01/09 8:54 AM
My husband and I just bought both of the above one month ago. We also bought Monster cables HDMI. For the most part, we are happy with this television. It is a perfect size for our bedroom. Our question is why does it look like people's eyes are bouncing around on their face, or there are shadows on faces when they turn. It is like something is not in sync with something else. It is very annoying to me and also very disappointing. I did call Samsung after a few days of having the tv and was told that it was most likely the pvr cable box setup. I called them and they changed some things, which made it look a little better. We used Wirewize to hook up our equipment, but what they told us was not correct and we were disappointed that things didn't work properly. So I don't recommend them at all. How do we know for sure that we have hooked up all the wiring properly? I am always aware of this movement on the screen and wonder if there is something that we could adjust to make it right or should I insist that a Samsung technician come in to our home and look at it, as was suggested in the call I made. I hope we didn't get a bad Samsung television. Any answers or remarks would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Post 1 of 1 | Back to topDiscussion lockedReplyPermalinkReport offensive postE-mail to friend [ x ] Close

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I posted this in the Samsung forum and never got an answer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I posted this in the Samsung forum and never got an answer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
isolate the problem
by bearvp / February 2, 2009 12:29 AM PST

Have you tried hooking your HDTV up to a DVD player to see if the shadow effect you are seeing via the cable box happens with DVDs as well? If there is no problem from the DVD player then your LCD TV isn't the issue. You might also want to try turning off many of the image enhancers in your TV's settings menu.

As for ideal connections - run HDMI from your cable box to your HDTV, like you have set up already. Also, try using a different HDMI cable to see if the cable itself is the problem.

Collapse -
answering isolate the problem
by hpygolky_64 / February 2, 2009 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: isolate the problem

I am not sure what you mean by saying to close off some of the TV's enhancements. Will you explain a little further for me? There are so many things to learn about this tv and it is mind bogling to us. We don't see the problem I am talking about while watching a DVD with the blu-ray player, it only happens when we watch regular tv. The blu-ray player is hooked up to the tv I believe. How else would it be working? I don't understand. My husband has been fooling around with different HDMI cables and whatnot and we still have the problem. I was sure it was the TV. It is very distracting and some of our guests have mentioned it to us. Is it a problem with all LCD tv's? If we had upgraded to 120 instead of 60, would that have made a difference? Thank you so much for your help. I still don't understand why someone in the Samsung forum didn't answer me. What gives with that?

Collapse -
try another connection instead of hdmi with the cable box
by mamontano / February 2, 2009 2:13 AM PST

Just try the component cable the cable company supplies
with the hd boxes. If this works than you know the hdmi
connection is bad. Have you tried unplugging the box for
a few minutes and plugging it back in?

Collapse -
try another connection istead of hdmi with the cable box
by hpygolky_64 / February 2, 2009 2:36 AM PST

Okay, we will try that and see what happens. We will use the cables we got with the original pvr and see what happens. Thanks so much for your response. We have our old DVD player. Should we try to hook it up to the new tv and see if that makes any difference?

Collapse -
leave blu-ray connected - it's working fine right?
by mamontano / February 2, 2009 3:03 AM PST

You said your blu-ray is working fine so i
wouldn't disconnect it. Your just testing
the pvr. I would first unplug the pvr
and tv for a minute or 2 than plug them back in.
If you are still having a problem with the hdmi
connection than try the component cable. I've
had problems with plugging in the hdmi cable
after plugging in power. Than i read that you
should plug in all a/v connections 1st before
plugging power in and powering up. This has solved
a particular case for me.

Collapse -
DVD/blu-ray works fine = TV is not the problem
by bearvp / February 2, 2009 2:15 AM PST

If your DVD/Blu-ray player looks fine on the TV, then you know it is either the HDMI cable from the cable box to the TV being faulty, or the cablebox is the issue. Try hooking up the cable box via component (red/green/blue connectors) and see if that makes it any better.

Collapse -
I have weird faces too.
by leohifi / February 2, 2009 5:16 AM PST

hpygolky,

I've found peoples faces on some of my cable programs look weird. The skin looks sort of "pasty". Since it does not happen on DVDs (HDMI) or VCR tapes (RF Modulator) that eliminates most of the TV. I suspect some interaction between the direct connect cable and the TV tuner. For now I'll just live with it. Perhaps someone on this forum will solve the problem for both of us.

Leo

Collapse -
Leohifi
by hpygolky_64 / February 28, 2009 1:39 AM PST

Did you ever get this problem solved? I haven't as yet. Please let me know will you and thank you.

Collapse -
Weird faces and Samsung info.
by sosowhat / February 28, 2009 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Leohifi

My guess is your problems are source related from the cable company. I have a dish and some programming does not look right due to compression techniques used by some stations. I would suggest to the person with the Sammy 550 go to AVS forum and join the 550 series thread as I am in the Samsung thread there but for a 5271f series. This forum will allow you to get in on the 550,650,750 series sammy tv's. I am not familiar with the 550 but there are some settings to turn off like DNR and maybe DNI or AMP off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.