Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I personally want to thank all SE members

who have been participating in the debates here pro and con for or against the candidates.

I honestly don't see any of the types of posts that caused such a rift among friends a few years ago, and almost all of the posts have been extremely informative for both sides even when we've disagreed with each other.

I am 'proud' to use netsky's term to know all of you, to know that all us are attempting to stay as informed as possible about issues going on and ones that still have to be addressed and/or resolved.

We may not agree on which side of the fence we have come down on, but the informational links you've provided have made me more aware of things I wasn't sure about, had thought about but not researched on my own, and continue to provide me with things to ponder and decide on.

I think you're all great people, even when I think some are misguided. LOL I'm sure that some of you think I'm also misguided, and that's OK. It's been a long time since I've seen so many people that I know on a personal level of some kind actually actively concerned and involved in local, state, and government issues and it's heartwarming to know that apathy isn't something that is practiced by the majority of you.

Thank you all ahead of time, no matter what the outcome is in November.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I personally want to thank all SE members
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I personally want to thank all SE members
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I personally want to thank all SE members

In reply to: I personally want to thank all SE members

Hi Toni:

I honestly don't see any of the types of posts that caused such a rift among friends a few years ago...

Well, as long as you manage to avoid the posts that call anyone who doesn't support Bush "anti-American," I guess that statement can hold water. Otherwise I can only partially agree. Sad

Collapse -
Fouryears ago it was

In reply to: Re: I personally want to thank all SE members

downright ugly in here...and many valuable, caring, and informed members were hurt, degraded, denigrated, and insulted over their views that too many of them left and never came back.

I'm happy to say that other than a few incidents of those types of repeated performances by a couple of our members, the majority of the posts haven't sunk to that level again. Most have stayed on target and on track with being civil to each other, even while disagreeing, and I think Louis would be proud of us as a whole.

We will never be a perfect America, and neither will our leaders. Mistakes will be made, opinions will be strong, minds will be changed due to circumstances...but we are all Americans and I don't believe that we are as divided as a country. If we are divided at all it's only because we, as individuals with the freedom to do so, see that there are alternate paths we can take to accomplish the same task. Choosing the RIGHT path is the difficult part because there is always the unknown factor of knowing ahead of time what the outcome will be.

So we talk, we discuss, we argue/debate those paths...but it's nice to know that we have the freedom and liberty to do that. And the only people who really should have that right are the ones who are registered to vote....everybody else takes a back seat through apathy and whatever the results of the vote are will affect those who couldn't be bothered to be involved, and they will be the first to complain every time.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Fouryears ago it was

In reply to: Fouryears ago it was

I always say, "If you don't vote, don't complain." Even if you vote for LaRouche or one of the other fringe candidates, at least you're participating in the process and being counted.

It's the first post-9/11 Presidential election and the stakes are about as high as they've ever been. If we argue it's because we care that much; I think deep down most of us know and appreciate that. Hope so anyway. Unless you're writing in Osama's name, my guess is that you love your country and care what happens to it as much as the person next to you who's voting for the other guy. I hope we can all try to keep that in mind as we head down the stretch.

Collapse -
Err.....Toni........Four years ago .....

In reply to: Fouryears ago it was

as I recall, you, myself, Dale, Wayne, and Josh (who did I leave out) was actively engaged with matters in the old 'Call for Help' forum and may have read post in SE, but I don't recall any posts that any of us made in SE at that time. You also was a Mod in Cetin's old forum as well as what is now called 'Computer Help'.

JR

Collapse -
Re: Err.....Toni........Four years ago .....

In reply to: Err.....Toni........Four years ago .....

Although I didn't participate often in SE in 2000, as a Moderator who was also a paid Mod checking all modalerts and new posts being made, I got a chance to read nearly everything being posted here every day for nearly twelve hours per day in between my postings in the Help Forums. The job that around twelve of us were being paid to do was read EVERY new post that was made in EVERY single forum across zdnet and cnet, including Gamespot, in order to make sure that the TOS was being observed. I well remember what was happening here and it wasn't even remotely pretty considering so many SE members had prior to that been considering each other friends for years on a much larger scale than friends in other forums.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Err.....Toni........Four years ago .....

In reply to: Err.....Toni........Four years ago .....

Hi John:

I'm sure I was active in SE during that period. Probably Dale too but I can't say for sure.

Collapse -
It was interesting Sunday

to be out surfing at the beach in L.A. County, when I was repeatedly approached by folks handing out absentee ballots and going group-to-group assuring that everyone will actually vote. I was slightly taken aback by the fact that they were, as the first woman who talked to me said, "supposed to be non-partisan. . .but, as you can see. . ." and she flipped the bottom of her t-shirt which was covered with Kerry buttons as was her hat (same was true for the other people handing out the ballots).

I talked to her for a bit about voter response from the younger age groups that are typically out on the beach at that point, and she said that nearly everyone she talked to was registered and intended to vote.

Los Angeles in the beach area there is very heavily pro-Kerry, although the rest of the state is apparently not sharing that sentiment. My feeling is regardless of who they vote for, I am just really glad so many people are getting involved and actually voting this time.

The international perspectives and news articles from the members here have been invaluable. Although I often don't agree with what some of them say, I do read their posts and the articles they link to. Having an opinion is not a license to a closed mind. And you're right, Toni, it's been pretty well done for the greater part, with people behaving remarkably well in the face of strong and differing viewpoints.

*I am glad though, that we don't have the opportunity to view streakers in here though Wink *

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Im always right. ;)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.