Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I passed a cycling milestone today ...

I went on a ride with one of my partners today, a 2 hour ride over about 25 miles of hilly countryside. That's quite a contrast with the first ride of the summer (14 miles in 1.5 hours, and I thought I was going to die)! I'm still not riding all that fast, but there has been some progress.

During the ride I passed the 500 mile mark for my training. It is almost exactly 8 weeks since I started cycling again, so that works out to roughly 60 miles a week. It's not as much as I wanted to ride, but it has been enough training to make a difference.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I passed a cycling milestone today ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I passed a cycling milestone today ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doing Great, Bill!!!

In reply to: I passed a cycling milestone today ...

Makes me proud to know ya!Happy However you really make me feel like a couch potatoe! LOL
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: I passed a cycling milestone today ...

Hi, Dr. Bill.

JOC, are you getting back into cycling just for fun and exercise, or is there something else involved?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
You might have been on vacation

In reply to: Re: I passed a cycling milestone today ...

Collapse -
Both a reason and fun ...

In reply to: Re: I passed a cycling milestone today ...

I hadn't been on a bike for years until July 10. Cindi linked to the original post on the subject. I still don't know why I let my friend, Linda, talk me into joining her team for the MS fundraiser. I don't even know why she asked me to join. It's not like I had a reputation for getting on a bicycle!

I used to ride a little bit, mostly short distances, when I was in college. For a while I commuted about 6 miles from my apartment to school on the bike back when I was at Stanford. That kind of stuff. But I put the bicycle up years ago and essentially forgot about it.

Now I'm discovering how much fun it can be to ride just for fun.

Thankfully I haven't had any major problems. I got a little bit of "road rash" one day when I lost control of the bike trying to prevent a collision with my partner, but nothing major.

Everybody I know tells me I'm becoming addicted to riding. Maybe they are right. But it's not a bad addiction!

Collapse -
Re: I passed a cycling milestone today ...

Your dedication to your training program is admirable.

I walk twice a day. Not the same physical/aerobic workout as your cycling, but If I don't walk (rare, but lightning does put the quietus on it) , I miss it.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I REALLY hate those little seats, and my wrists/arms

start going numb leaning forward on the handlebars. Sad

It's great that you're making progress. Happy

Collapse -
There are some discomforts involved ...

In reply to: I REALLY hate those little seats, and my wrists/arms

The newer seats that are designed for gender-specific "anatomic relief" are nice. Other equipment is important, too. There is no way my wrists and hands would tolerate the training without cycling gloves. The special clothing helps some. It's amazing what gloves, a new seat, and riding shorts will do for the overall comfort level.

Of course, that doesn't help the fact that my 28 year old bike weighs about 15# more than anything currently on the market. Actually, what bothers me even more than the weight of the bike is the fact that its gears have a much narrower range than the newer bikes. Back when I was younger I didn't fully appreciate how important proper gear selection can be while climbing hills. Now I'm having to cycle intelligently instead of relying on youthful resilience and raw strength.

I may buy a new bike so I get the benefits of the new technology and better gearing, but they are so expensive that I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one yet.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) All I can say is........... WOW, and congrats

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Big Wheel keeps on turnin' proud Billy keeps on Burnin'

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.