Computer Help forum

Question

I-Pad v Laptop?

Hi - I have a disabling illness which results in my being bedridden for extended periods. Mostly I rest but when I am able to function but am still not well enough to get up to our desktop comp I will use my iPhone for Facebook and get frustrated! With a tax refund coming my question is - what do I buy for use when bedridden - an IPad or a small laptop? Has anyone put together a Pros and Cons list or similar? I am leaning towards IPad as things that I use our desktop for (ie. all the full Office packages, Adobe stuff etc) my brain isn't switched on enough for me to use when bedridden - so I am likely to only want Facebook; Emails; Music; Books; News ... any suggestions / input appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I-Pad v Laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I-Pad v Laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you'll be doing

In reply to: I-Pad v Laptop?

If you'll be doing more than a small amount of typing, I'd go with the laptop. I suppose experiences will vary, but I hate on-screen keyboards. I resent the fact that they take up like half the screen, it's a lot easier to make typos, and there's not even that same tactile feedback from an actual keyboard. I hate typing on my phone if I can avoid it.

So I would go with a laptop myself, and maybe add to that a Kindle for book reading. Laptop or iPad (or any other tablet really), that backlit screen is going to suck your battery dry pretty quickly, not to mention it's more conducive to eye strain for reading. So I'd pick up a Kindle for all your book reading needs. Nice thing about the Kindle is there's no backlight, so the battery charge lasts weeks to months. Plus, they really are not kidding in reviews when they say that the display is very close to actual paper. The drawback is refresh rates are very slow, but it really isn't as big an issue as you might think when reading a book. It's no more disruptive to the experience than flipping the page in a book.

Collapse -
Answer
iPad is no laptop.

In reply to: I-Pad v Laptop?

Let's look at something a lot cheaper and see if it does what's on your list.

1. Facebook? Yes.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=kindle+fire+facebook+app

2. Emails? Yes.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200789350

3. Music, Books, News. Yes.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051VVOB2/
" Movies, apps, games, music, reading and more, plus Amazon's revolutionary, cloud-accelerated web browser

Over 20 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, and books
Thousands of popular apps and games, including Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, Pandora, and more"

The device is 199 and a fraction of what the iPad will run.
Hope this gives you an alternative.
Bob

Collapse -
An android Sony deal today.

In reply to: iPad is no laptop.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.