Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

I/O Device Error

by GeorgeGee69 / January 12, 2010 5:26 AM PST

I recently started to recieve the I/O device error for my Packard Bell 2500 external hard drive. I can no longer access it and I have used it to store my Architectural Drawings, the drive is 75Gb, I have all my CV history drawings and Library files stored here, it is about 80% full, (or 20% empty for the pessimists). This external hard drive was supplied with my PC, they are about 3 years old.
A few days ago I started getting the I/O device error for the external drive and soon after I could not connect to the internet, (USB router), to find a solution, I hard wired my router to PC to no effect but when I disconnected my external hard drive, hey presto I could connect to the net. I have installed Children of the Nile PC game and now when I start this game my USB mouse does not work properly. All of this leads me to think there is a conflict within my USB controllers. I have looked through Windows device manager and there were some items marked with a yellow exclamation mark which were not related to any of the devices aforementioned, I have uninstalled them and there is no difference to my system, I have found the External Hard drive in Dev Man and it will populate and declares only 1mb of unallocated space which is wrong the rest looks ok and says the device is working properly. I have tried updating its driver but it replies Most Updated driver installed. I have used Windows Update to update all my Windows files successfully. Looking through similar problems on the Web they tend to steer clear of USB problems and concentrate on trying to recover "some" files and bin the External Drive! I am at a loss and would appreciate the forums advice as I am reluctant, ( no money), to ditch the external hard drive and most of my precious drawings, many thanks in anticipation.
I am using Packard Bell standard box Processor Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz, 2GB Ram, 32 bit operating system. Windows Vista SP2 Home Premium. My mouse and keyboard are Packard Bell USB. I use Virgin Router and Modem, (USB). I have 4 USB ports on top of machine and 4 at the back, total of 8. I also have a variety of card readers on top that I have never used.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I/O Device Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I/O Device Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The lesson (again.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: I/O Device Error

Is that we only lose what we didn't backup.

Given that there is no backup and the value of this files are so great my advice is to not attempt any do it yourself repair but head directly to http://www.drivesavers.com

Next time, why not some space copies?
Bob

Collapse -
I/O Device Error
by GeorgeGee69 / January 12, 2010 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: The lesson (again.)

Thanks for the address, but I am hoping that this is a USB conflict and repairable. I guess I was silly thinking that the External Drive was my backup copy, looks like I need 2 drives to be safe and even then who knows lol, Thanks again

Collapse -
If it was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: I/O Device Error

Then the drive will work fine in other machines. Given the nature of the works at risk I took your post as these can't be lost. Therefore we move directly to data recovery houses that do this all the time.

My backups are no less than 3 copies of what I can't lose. And after that I have backup of that on DVD in some DVD case with the cover depicting the project inside. And there are no less than 2 DVDs of each inside that.

I learned this lesson first hand years ago and don't want a repeat.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!