Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I Never Installed SP2. Should I?

by BeyondHelp / November 22, 2005 9:27 AM PST

I am not the most Tech savy user out there and I have a disk I ordered way back when from Windows to install the SP2 Service Pack when all the whoopla about it was going on.

First off I am not having any real difficulties or problems so to speek with everything as it is.

Secondly I do not focus too well on tasks do to heavy medication for my back pain so without a itemized checklist I am screwed anyway.

Third Being disabled I am totally broke so paying sombody is out of the question.

I hope to upgrade my system soon to get away from the proprietary limitations of a DELL system. (a RDRAM upgrade is more than a new system)So maybe I shoud just upgrade my OS to Windows with SP2 already combined with the program. Don't I have to do something like that when I build a computer??

Any Help, Advice Etc., would be great. I really have no beef with Windows other than all the crap I read from others. I don't know if the LINUX solution would work for me. I am intrested in Digital Photography so Apple is in the back of my mind (why I don't know just Apple seems to come up when people talk Photography). And the Dell is working for me except it seems it is getting slow or I am less ******** than I thought. Any Suggestions?? Dell Dimension 8200 Windows XP Home 256 RAM 40GB Nothing special.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I Never Installed SP2. Should I?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I Never Installed SP2. Should I?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to Dell website
by byker49 / November 22, 2005 11:28 AM PST

Got to Dell support and see if they have any instructions for you at their website for your particular machine. I was advised for my Dell 4600 to update the bios before installing SP2. Your instructions may be different.

SP2 should install nicely unless your machine has other issues.

Collapse -
I can see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 8:52 PM PST

that you have issues other than computer ones and I appreciate your reluctance.

Generally I would not hesitate to advise you to install SP2. It is a major upgrade to Windows XP and includes important security features to help stamp out piracy, hackers, and viruses and other malware. Also, at some stage in the future, Microsoft will reduce help and support, including Windows Updates, for non SP2 computers.

However, I am not so sure in your case. Firstly you say that your computer is running well at the moment, if a little slow, (something we can, perhaps, help you with).

Then you say that you would find it difficult to concentrate on checklists, instructions, etc.

And also, you canot afford to pay for someone to look over your computer and install SP2 for you.

If by upgrade you mean that you are going to upgrade the hardware and purchase a new Windows XP disk which includes SP2, and intend to do this at some near future point, then perhaps in your case installing SP2 to your present PC configuration is "not" so necessary.

If your computer is working well, then perhaps you may decide not to put that at risk at the moment. I would say that, on a clean and good working machine, the risk is quite small, but many people may find the preparation a large task, and if you feel that way then why not be happy with the way things are at the moment?

You will be aware that a hardware upgrade, and a clean install of Windows XP with SP2 will wipe out any other applications you have on your computer, so you will need to backup any important documents, settings, photos, etc anyway, and as this is a major task of itself, you may feel that an install of SP2 is not as intrusive or complicated as it may at first seem.

You mention a slow computer, and the causes could be many, including hardware limitations such as not enough RAM. But also viruses, spyware etc can be a major factor, so if you do not have any at the moment, I would seriously consider a suite of anti-malware utilities, such as a firewall, an anti-virus program, an anti-spyware program and an anti-adware utility. They can greatly help speeding up a computer's response time.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I would! In fact, I did! No problemo.
by 09Bentley / November 23, 2005 2:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Furthering Mark, Here's a Link to Many Legit Free Programs..
by tobeach / November 23, 2005 2:55 PM PST

for protecting &/or cleaning up your computer:
Additionally, I personally feel 512 Mgs of RAM is minimum for XP (Pro or even Home). With less (256) things will be slower. Also: XP Defragmenter actually moves all the files to empty space on your Hard Drive and then moves it back as it defrags. This means if less than 1/2 is remaining free, it cannot properly defrag as files to move are more than space available. Check for how much free space is available of your C; drive. Just something to be aware of as no defrag will really slow things down after awhile.
Here are 2 Links to CCleaner. A Small program that cleans tons and may allow you to regain some speed. The first is to download. The second is tips & descriptions of each item you can tick to clean or not clean. Suggest start with relatively few things and clean more as you gain confidence. Fabulous and in some cases REALLY helps !! Once installed will clean in under 5 seconds.

Being in much the same situaton, I wish you the best. Please enjoy the buffet available! Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?