Question

I need to reverse Page File auto clean

I have an emachines desktop with XP, sp3, which I set up to auto clean the page file. I did this by doing the following:

1. Go to start menue2. Click "run"3. Enter "regedit.exe" hit
"enter" or hit "ok"4. Open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" 5. Open "system"6.
Open "currentcontrolset"7. Open "control"8. Open "Session
Manager"9. Open "Memory management"10. On the right hand side
right click on the value "ClearPageFileAtShutDown" - if there is no
value there right click in the open section and add a DWORD value
and name it "ClearPageFileAtShutdown"11. Change value to "1"12.
Reboot

I need to reverse this action. Does anyone know how to do this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I need to reverse Page File auto clean
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I need to reverse Page File auto clean
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Remove the DWord?

I would never change anything in the registry myself, but since you seem comfortable with it, why not reverse what you did yourself and change that registry key/entry back to what it was?

Or use the backup of the registry/key/entry that you made before making any changes.

System Restore may work, but I can't guarantee it.

Not sure why you needed to do that anyway, in the first place. The generally accepted view is to let Windows manage the PF.

Mark

- Collapse -
I need to reverse Page File auto clean

Thanks Mark for your reply. The problem was that I bought a refurbished computer with only 512 MB of ram. I can't do much before I'm using most or all of it's ram. So I set it up about a year ago to auto clean, but as you probably know that didn't help any.

I guess I fixed it last night, (ended up pretty brain dead Cry before I figured it out and yes I reversed the process and set the value back to zero) which "SOLVED" Wink the problem.

The reason I wanted to change it back is that I am now using Iolo System Mechanic which does cleaning of page file also.

I also deleted a lot of stuff which used a lot of memory and now the memory is ok, just not as much fun without it.

Thanks again,

knapperreno

- Collapse -
Not sure of the logic there

Now I'm no expert by any means, but I'm not sure I follow.

I agree that 512MB is on the low side, but by allowing Windows to manage the Page File Windows will usually be able to swap data from RAM to the hard disk area set aside for Virtual memory much more efficiently.

Anyway, Good to see you managed to reverse those steps.

However, I'm not so sure about using any Iolo software. We see many posts about Advanced System Care and other Iolo registry modifiers in these forums, mainly those seeking help to correct things Iolo has messed up. It's sad to see one other user caught out by this.

Mark

CNET Forums