HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I Need to Repair I E

by xcks / November 8, 2004 12:29 PM PST

I need to repair my original IE, and or IE period. My comp info is on profile.
Upon doing a start, reboot, or I recieve the pop up that IE has been removed and wants to know if I wish to remove my personal setting as well. I have always selected NO. As I read it, cant be repaired. I have as near as I can tell the following options:

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you
upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since Windows 98 and IE4.
However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and
entering the following command:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%windir%\Inf\ie.inf
**You will need to have your XP CD available**.

Ive tried the sfc/scan now.
I also already have a search completed Still I have no clue if I have the XC CD.

Note: Both of the following methods listed **require that the Microsoft
Windows XP CD-ROM be available**.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and
/scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

I know exactly what was done to create this problem. I ran the IEFIX TOOL @ the aumha site Bob references to. As I recall instructions or what it actually does is not given. So much for the lable.
Is there some reason why a person cant just go to the regestry and change the 0 back to a 1? and if so Id need simple info as to the modifying and decimal changeing. Somehow I doubt that it can be simply changed, as the tool has done.

So...if anyone can advise to this XP CD business.
I have the 10 recovery cd's
the 1 recovery tools cd
Users Guide CD
the MSN 8 CD
the XP Works and Money 2003 CD

also have the security update cd that comes with a free 1 year AV & Firewall Software trial CD
and last the service pack 2 cd

for the record I have not yet accepted the express install of sp2 at windows update site. I have been doing custom and no criticals are there.

And should anyone care to get right down to the brass tact of this open display of abuse that comes with owning a HP. The page at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306824

You must register Component Object Model (COM) components and Windows File Protection (WFP) files.

the above line in patictular. I can trace the exact events even futher than that. And yet I am too stupid to give it an actual name. The ZONE ALARM default IE and Win32 settings SUCK. Ive yet to find any info about common config settings and how the programs should be set. The normal tools eaither couldnt fix things they found, or simply couldnt see anything wrong. Or claimed I didnt have the Welchia or Nachi. Guess Im a real idiot getting a hijackthis log, after I finally got a responce as soon as I moved my mouse twards the 1st target POOF they disappear by themselfs.

Whatever ... is IE fixable on this piece of ... or do I need to get a 6.0 cd from microsoft? ALOT of my microsoft products are broken. Move on to the sp2 .... Im lost. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I Need to Repair I E
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I Need to Repair I E
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I Need to Repair I E
by Merl Priester / November 8, 2004 2:57 PM PST
In reply to: I Need to Repair I E

Have you tried just downloading iesetup.exe and running it.
This is designed to install IE you know.

If you go here
http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

it will show you how to download IE6 in full to your hard drive, then you cna install it without losing a connection. You can also burn to a CD to install to other computers.

Collapse -
Re: I Need to Repair I E
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2004 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: I Need to Repair I E

1. Read http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

2. About IEFIX. The VERY FIRST HIT on google.com for me at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=IEFIX at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm describes what it does. There are more details available. Here's my brass tack -> I do NOT duplicate web content here. You seem to take some issue with that and I'm going to make myself clear that my view is to not clutter this board or fill these databases with staight copy from other web sites. Also, this is a CO-OPERATIVE adventure with you and I tackling your computer issues. If you want to take up arms and beat each other up then we miss the opportunity to beat down the problem that is afflicting your machine. I hope this helps clarify what direction I'm coming from.

3. "open display of abuse that comes with owning a HP."

Just me commenting that such is a "canned system" with choices made by HP to reduce support costs by locking users out of the system. This is by design and you did not pay for the OS in its full Retail glory. Some have a real tough time with this since they wanted all that XP had to offer but don't realize that HP has a deal with Microsoft to handle the support. If you research this deeply then you might never want a bundled OEM computer again. But for most that don't want to diddle with the machine, HP and others are just fine.

4. Settings that come the way you don't like them.

With millions of users, if they came to your liking then another person would write "yuck!" too. That portion of your post shows that you need to consider the big picture.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.