Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

I need to record a video to a VCD

I have a Sony HC 65 Mini DV camcorder and the picture package supplied with it will not recognize my CD burner on either of 2 computers. I downloaded a copy of Muvee free trial, but 5 minutes of video took 5 GB and I ran out of memory. I called Sony and they can't help. I tried windows movie maker but everything was psychadelic. Is there software that will either move the video to my hard drive or to a CD in low enough resolution that I can move an hour of tape onto one CD? Please email me at ralphmail3@yahoo.com if anyone knows

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need to record a video to a VCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need to record a video to a VCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Ulead.

In reply to: I need to record a video to a VCD

It has a demo at ulead.com, but it would be right for Sony to not help you if your hard disk overflowed. That's something you would have to take care of.

Bob

Collapse -
Sony

In reply to: Try Ulead.

Thanks I'll try it.

FYI, I did not ask Sony to help because my hard drive overflowed. My hard drive overflowed because the Sony supplied software did not work and I had to try muvee. The Sony software was supposed to transfer a mini dv movie right to a VCD

Collapse -
Sony shouldn't help

In reply to: Sony

"I downloaded a copy of Muvee free trial, but 5 minutes of video took 5 GB and I ran out of memory."

Even the Ulead software will require 10's of GBs if you work with some hour long miniDV (video.)

If you don't have the free disk space, my question is this. And out of curiosity. Why do you expect Sony or anyone to provide support in this instance and especially for a free trial demo?

Bob

Collapse -
Forget the disk space read carefully

In reply to: Sony shouldn't help

Bob,

I guess you're not understanding what I am saying..

1) I got a sony camcorder, and they supplied software called picture package.

2) I tried using picture package on 2 different computers and the software did not recognize my CD burner and did not detect that there was a blank CDR in the drive

3) I called Sony and they said they would not help because their software did not recognize my CD burner, which was also made by Sony

End of story.....

THEN...I tried third party software, but it required way too much disk space. I did not call Sony back, as this is a different issue

Collapse -
"picture package." is not video.

In reply to: Forget the disk space read carefully

You seen to expect this software to do something it's not programmed to do.

2. Yup. The software will only note some drives. Yup, and yup.

3. Yup, that happens. If you wnat a tip, see if they have a firmware update to the CDRW drive.

"I tried third party software, but it required way too much disk space. I did not call Sony back, as this is a different issue"

I see the issue clear as can be. You wanted to be able to use the supplied software to make a video cd, which it does not.

Some burst into flames over this. I wait for them to cool off.

Bob

Collapse -
Picture package came with my camcorder

In reply to: "picture package." is not video.

Picture Package 1.0 came with my cam corder

The instructions say, that I can transfer a video right from my camera to a Video CD

I updated the latest software

Every other software recognizes my CD burner

The Sony software does not

My CD burner is made by Sony

Collapse -
Read the fine print.

In reply to: Picture package came with my camcorder

I'd rather not dance with you about this software package. I've seen it, looked at it and it does transfer pictures and let you make some content.

Let me be blunt. It's not what you need to create a video CD or DVD.

Of course you can keep beating your head against this wall as must as you want. When it all sinks in, there are people here to help you find another package.

In closing, your Sony CD Burner could be out of date, have odd software driving it such as InCD/DirectCD/DLA or such, but all the details DO NOT MATTER since the software won't do what you asked in the first place.

When you are ready to move on, post back.

Bob

Collapse -
Picture Package software

In reply to: Picture package came with my camcorder

Hello from Germany!!

I have only update from this Version.
And I need urgend the fully version.
Can you help me?? Please.. it is very important.
I can not connect my camcorder HC32 to PC without this software and I have no idea where can I get this one.
You are my last hope!!

Regards

Micky Hamerla - Germany
the best way: you send me that per mail
to mdh.michael@gmx.de

Collapse -
Do you like SPAM?

In reply to: Picture Package software

Posting your email address in the clear on a public board is just a bad idea.

Collapse -
Picture Package software

In reply to: "picture package." is not video.

Hallo from Germany!!

I have only update from this Version.
And I need urgend the fully version.
Can you help me?? Please.. it is very important.
I can not connect my camcorder HC32 to PC without this software and I have no idea where can I get this one.
You are my last hope!!

Regards

Micky Hamerla - Germany
the best way: you send me that per mail
to mdh.michael@gmx.de

Collapse -
Why are you SPAMMING?

In reply to: Picture Package software

I see 3 identical posts now. How many more will you make?

Collapse -
Many programs perform this function. They build the image on

In reply to: Sony

the hard drive before they burn the CD or DVD. The requirements specs should specify sufficient HD space.

Collapse -
Lets do this one step at a time.

What connection do you use, from camcorder to computer (usb, firewire, what)?

What file format/extention is it in...just before burning if the burner was recognize?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Won't help them. It's picture software, not video.

In reply to: Lets do this one step at a time.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hehe...strange, why would I look at pic. when I have movie

In reply to: (NT) Won't help them. It's picture software, not video.

Collapse -
one step

In reply to: Lets do this one step at a time.

I use USB 2.0

I think when it comes from the tape it is AVI

Collapse -
Here..a suggestion.

In reply to: one step

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/trial.htm

Download the trial version of movifactory and try it. If it doesn't work, no harm done. If the cd burn is too old, that could also be a reason; I had that happen to me with a Roxior software. But anyway..try Ulead. good luck.
Collapse -
I will try it

In reply to: Here..a suggestion.

Thanks. I don't think it is my burner or the CD-R, because both burners are under one year old, and I bought a new pack of CD-R's and tried 3. I can burn other stuff on them

Collapse -
video to a VCD

To import video you need lots of HD space!!!
You need firewire, cable and card in you PC. The software that comes with Sony is for picture not video. Here is a link the may help. John

http://www.timwerx.net/odds/pcfile.htm

Collapse -
Party Pooper

Why a VCD? I have yet to see a VCD that looks as good as a VHS tape. Plus they hold less and VHS can be played anywhere. In my book, VCDs are not worth it. I'd go with either VHS tape or DVD.

Sorry, just me two cents.....

Collapse -
VCD or not VCD

In reply to: Party Pooper

Are you saying that VCD is a lower quality than DVD? I thought it was just less space.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, it is.

In reply to: VCD or not VCD

Collapse -
dv best transferred to dvd

In reply to: Party Pooper

Just purchased a Sony HC 32 miniDV camcorder and find its output excellent. However, I must say they don't explain how to get that excellent video onto DVD. Matter of fact the software they supply does not facilitate the transfer. It just allows the transfer of stills (and vcd?) via USB. They don't even supply a firewire cable which is necesary to transfer the video into a computer with all the digital information intact (they supply only a USB cable, and an av interface with RCA connectors). They also don't explain that you need a third party sofware package to assist in capturing the video by firewre, then editing, and writing to dvd compatible with set top players. I use Showiz DVD 2 and find it excellent, but Sony Vegas lite, and Ulead's DVD Movie Factory are favorably commented on in these posts also. These packages contain the drivers necessary to recognize the firewire connection to the camcorder, and they present a simple tv recorder like interface to control the miniDV tape in your camcorder. Once captured to a file on your computer, they can then be processed by editing, titling, setting chapters etc before being written to your finished DVD. The results are excellent...far better than standard cable quality TV resolution. If you don't want to go through this whole firewire process for the best picture, and the convenience of the DVD format, your next best option is to use the AV outputs and capture to the old fashioned VHS recorder as timwerx suggests. VCD is terrible video quality not even equalling VHS quality. USB transfers are terrible and lead to jerky pictures of low resolution. Sony should be more honest, and they should include firewire cables and recommendations for dvd authoring software with their camcorders. Their camcorders can produce excellent quality video, but NOT if captured by USB in VCD.

The last option for those who don't want the the firewire routine is to get a freestanding dvd recorder. They have come down in price and will accept AV input (and some firewire) and produce a very good quaity DVD with very little fuss and bother. Matter of fact, this IS the best option for those without fast computers, with large hard discs equipped with firewire and the proper DVD authoring software and lack the time and patience needed in the authoring process. The downside is lack of editing control.

Collapse -
video to vcd

I was having trouble burning dvds that would play in a player and the new dvd recorders were too expensive. So I tried old technology, a stand alone CD/VCD Terapin recorder. The manuel was not user friendly, but after some emails it worked just fine. My supreme test was that it play on a dvdplayer, and it did. Now this is old technology, but if you need a vcd that plays on any player, thats the way to go. They are pricy but they do work. Its like a vhs recorder, except it turns out vcds.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.