Computer Help forum

General discussion

I need to raplace my Mother board.

Any suggestions on a good and easy to install one? I am not real good with this stuff so it has to be easy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need to raplace my Mother board.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need to raplace my Mother board.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to consider. . .

In reply to: I need to raplace my Mother board.

(don't ask me how I know).

Price - within your pocketbook.

Match processor with motherboard as in choose the processor then find a motherboard that accepts it.

Choose speed, core. Do you need a dual core or single core? Dual core is good for running several high intensity processes at once. Single core is good for 90% of average users.

RAM - match it with the motherboard. One Gig is fine, two Gig close to overkill. Above two Gig is for bragging rights only unless you are trying to decode the human genome.

Hard and optical drives - most motherboards today have both IDE and SATA ports. Match the board to your existing drive types. Don't get a full SATA board if your drives are IDE, they won't work together.

Video, audio - If you have on board video and audio, find a board with the same. If you have cards, find a board that will accept what you currently have. If you have on board and want to upgrade to cards, find the motherboard that will accept sound and video cards of your choice. Video cards come in many flavors and unless you are a hard core gamer, 128 Meg of video RAM is enough. Same with sound. Unless you want to run digital out with surround sound, a standard board is fine. I bought a full blown digital sound card with optical out and 7.1 surround sound. I've never used the features.

Dialup - need a modem? Most motherboards do not have built in analog modems.

Ethernet - the newer boards have Gigabit LAN ports built in. But they work with all, 10/100/1000, LAN facilities.

Have fun.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, internet connections,
spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Forgot to mention. . .

In reply to: Things to consider. . .

If you're running Vista, or going to, all bets are off. Vista is still broken for upgrading.

Collapse -
(NT) But I can install XP if I get a new one with Vista right?

In reply to: Forgot to mention. . .

Collapse -
All pretty much the same

There's really only one way to install a motherboard, so there's no easy or hard way, because those imply multiple options.

I will say that if you don't feel confident in your skills, to have someone else do it for you. It's real easy to screw something up, even if you know what you're doing. I made a simple mistake not too long ago, and shorted out a motherboard while I was switching cases. It was a learning experience to say the least, but a somewhat painful one since I had only my laptop for about a week while waiting for a replacement.

It'd be worth the extra money to have some computer shop do it. That way, if they make a mistake, they're the ones who are obliged to fix it at no additional cost to you.

Collapse -
Just general info

You may need to reformat after you replace your motherboard, therefore, before you go any further, make backups of everything. Make sure you have all necessary disc's, like windows xp, sp2, drivers, etc. In addition, you may get some direct support from the computer maker, if they have a forum for such things. Like dealing with heat sinks, glue, etc.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Identify your computer first

You need a motherboard for what computer model? Is it for the SHUTTLE model you mentioned in another discussion? If so, you may have to purchase from a small group of motherboards that will fit your case.

I'd total a cost figure for the repair and weigh that against getting a new computer.

Collapse -
Correction

In reply to: Identify your computer first

"I'd total a cost figure for the repair and weigh that against getting a new computer."

I'd total a price figure for the *replacement* and related expenses. Then, I'd weigh that against the cost of getting a new computer. I think a new computer may win here.
Collapse -
ok so then ...

In reply to: Correction

If I do get a new pc can I move my hard drive over and just keep my stuff that way? I have lots on my current hard drive that I dont want to lose. I also have another pc networked thru this one. This is getting complicated to me !!! I dont want to lose all of my stuff on the hard drive...

Collapse -
Sure. Just install it as a secondary hard drive

In reply to: ok so then ...

You can install your current hard drive as a secondary hard drive in the new computer and then access your files. You don't get to keep the OS, but you do get to keep your personal files.

As always, making a finalized backup copy to CD or DVD is safer than storing those "I don't want to lose" files on a hard drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.