Cameras forum

General discussion

I need to find the perfect camera for me (good details)

I am 13 and really interested in photography. I want a smallish digital camera (yes im sure i want this kind rather than a fancy photography camera). i would like it to have black and white, sepia and normal color settings(more is fine, less is not). i want good image quality, rechargable battery, pretty durable (basically if i drop it once it wont break completely)Lcd screen sized about 2.3-3.0., movie taking, good optical zoom, 6.0+ megapixles, and i want it to be sold in a store within the twin cities. mainly i want it to be from $90-$115. that is realy important to me. other i can live with..ALSO it NEEDS to be compatable with SD memory cards! ALSO very important =]

PLEASE HELP ME!

thnkx

ps. if you find a good one and you have pictures or ya just wanna talk my email is fluffernut95@yahoo.com =]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need to find the perfect camera for me (good details)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need to find the perfect camera for me (good details)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About ...

In reply to: I need to find the perfect camera for me (good details)

"i would like it to have black and white, sepia and normal color settings.."

The new thing is that all this can be done later on your PC, Mac, and even some of those picture printing stations all over. I'd not burden a camera with that.

Let me also share I've picked out a few refurbs from newegg.com and geeks.com for the price you listed. For example our last one was the 95 buck Kodak z760. While it's not top of the line it was very nice and produced consistently good to great shots.
Bob

Collapse -
no way

In reply to: About ...

welll nooo..it is a burden..because i am a photographer..i need black and white and sepia..BECAUSEEE...otherwise i dont know if the picture looks good. trust me..i need it and that camera SUCKS

Collapse -
Tell why.

In reply to: no way

I was so happy with the size and pictures I bought a second one for my son. Sorry to hear you can't take any suggestions about post processing. But as you find models just hit the maker's site about what native features there are.

Collapse -
there are better

In reply to: Tell why.

cheaper cameras besides im probly going shopping with my dad sometime and ill prolby find a better CHEAPER one WITH black and white. besides ur probly not photographers like me =] i know whats good and whats not =] this camera is not good for me =]

Collapse -
I guess I was unclear.

In reply to: there are better

The camera noted was a fraction of the cost when new, appears to do B/W and other things. To be clear you need to check each model that makes your price point. Also I was sharing an alternative but you may have missed it. Here it is -> Look at the refurb market to get more for less.
Bob

Collapse -
Do I really want to help this snotty girl?

You sound a lot like my kid sister, and with your use of excessive caps and misspellings I'm guessing you are just as mature. Please don't refer to your self as a "into photography" if pocketability and a black and white mode are more important than picture quality. Still, I will do my best to help.

If you are at all serious about photography, you will check out canon. Their Powershot A580 fits all your requirements except the rechargeable battery, but at your price range beggars can't be choosers. It does have all the color options you want, as well as 4x optical zoom, 8 MP sensor, and good picture/video quality for the price. A slightly cheaper option is the A470. It takes good pictures and comes in different colors, but it has a few quirks such as no dedicated zoom buttons. Canon is the only camera that makes decent cheap cameras for beginners. Kiss rechargeable battery goodbye unless you want to fork over $170 for a Digital Elph SD1000 or SD750.

Oh and by the way, don't tell the guy trying to help you that his camera sucks. You are the one asking for the world on a shoe string.

Collapse -
Digital Camera

So far, they have not built the camera you desire.

The camera that comes the closest is the Canon SD1000.
It costs about $180.

Dropping a digital camera will almost always have disastrous results.
Olympus has a line of Stylus cameras that are rugged and some that are advertised to take abuse such as dropping (even in water).
But they do not use SD memory cards and cost over $300.

Go to several stores that let you get your hands on their cameras and see what is available.

Stay away from the "no-name" brands.
Most are made in China, and I have yet to see a quality Chinese digital camera.

If the camera is packaged in a "blister" pack, avoid it too.
Most of those are little more than toys.

The popular, well-known cameras are made by:
Canon, Casio, Fujifilm, Kodak, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony

Olympus cameras use the xD memory card.
Sony cameras use the Memory Stick.

Once you find a camera you like, you will have to do some research to see if it can do black/white and Sepia.
I don't know of any digital camera data-base that tracks that type of information.

Hit the brick and do some hands-on shopping.

Collapse -
Why bother?

In reply to: Digital Camera

This 13 year old "photographer" already knows more than anyone who posts to these forums.

Collapse -
agree with others

In reply to: Why bother?

You're budget will not allow you any room to choose a multitude of options. You'd be luck to find a camera, in store, that takes decent(let alone very good) photos for your price range. The others are trying to help you, and the only thing that "sucks" is that you expect high quality on a poor man's budget.

Collapse -
When I was 13

In reply to: Why bother?

When I was 13, I was smarter than everyone around me.
I was forced to live in a world of the unknowing masses.
It was a burden I had to bare.

As I got older, I noticed that my parents were getting smarter .... and I wasn't.

There was knowledge everywhere and I could not learn it fast enough.
As I learned something, I would tell people of my accomplishment and they would reply "didn't you already know that?"

They were manufacturing knowledge faster than I could learn it.
This was a conspiracy.

I have been trying to catch-up all my life.

Now that I am "older than dirt", I still try.

But

Each night I repeat my mantra:

"To Soon Old and Too Late Smart."

Collapse -
English Correction:

In reply to: When I was 13

"Too Soon Old and Too Late Smart.

To, too, two, 2

see, still learning.

Collapse -
what now!

In reply to: English Correction:

i found the perfect camera at target..

75 bucks on clearance originally 150 , black and white sepia,color, red,ect. GREAT picture quality(8.9mp), not great zoom but i can deal, not sure what battery and sd memory

whatnow!

shee-ow

Collapse -
Told us!

In reply to: what now!

What now? How about a camera model? I am curious to which one you bought. We are not wrong because you did not get a great zoom or (most likely) rechargeable batteries.

Collapse -
me too

In reply to: Told us!

Only one I could see in that range would have been the Canon A560, which could be on clearance, but any other camera in that range are usually poor performers. I'd like to know the great camera you bought. I couldn't find a camera with an 8.9 megapixel spec, new or discontinued.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.