Computer Help forum

General discussion

I need to convert VGA to this

by sbga01 / January 31, 2009 6:20 AM PST

Anyone know how I can hook my laptop up to my TV? My laptop has VGA output only. Here is pics of what I'm working with on my TV, http://home.comcast.net/~psypark/hdtv.jpg

Here is a pic of the port on my laptop
http://home.comcast.net/~psypark/vga.jpg

thanks guys

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need to convert VGA to this
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need to convert VGA to this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is that . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 31, 2009 7:57 AM PST

a video input. I don't think so. What does the TV owner's manual say about that port?

Collapse -
Old Connector
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 10:22 AM PST

How old is the television. That port could possibly be a HD15 Port but it is very rarely used anymore. Old Macintosh computers used to have them. Good luck finding a cable.

Collapse -
tv
by sbga01 / January 31, 2009 10:59 AM PST
In reply to: Old Connector

The TV is pretty old, its one of the first HDTVs. I was looking around and i think you might be right about what kind of port it is

Collapse -
Must be quite Early
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: tv
Collapse -
(NT) I meant DB-15 Not HD-15. Often confused.
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: Old Connector
Collapse -
"system components control bus ( 15 pin D-Sub (DB-15) ) "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2009 11:16 AM PST
Collapse -
wouldn't this work?
by sbga01 / January 31, 2009 1:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Trouble is...
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: wouldn't this work?

That Picture of the adapter is for very old Macs and it could be low quality and for smaller monitors. However with S-Video it would work but for both RCA and S-Video you do need some kind of converter box to do all the technical stuff, like this: http://tinyurl.com/dd6sx8. With component cables you may not need this box. This one Especially: http://tinyurl.com/dkywao

Collapse -
ok
by sbga01 / January 31, 2009 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: Trouble is...

Yeah, do you think using the convertor box would degrade the picture quality any? Would it look as good as a graphics card that has an s-video output? I don't think my TV has the right component inputs for the 2nd link, it has weird ones I've never seen before, http://home.comcast.net/~psypark/hdtv.jpg

Collapse -
(NT) Is the TV a Mitsubishi?
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: ok
Collapse -
(NT) Yes, it is
by sbga01 / January 31, 2009 5:30 PM PST
Collapse -
The this is what you want!!
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 5:50 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, it is
Collapse -
(NT) Thats perfect. Thanks!
by sbga01 / January 31, 2009 6:40 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Nice to know I helped. Thanks
by Ski_rus12 / January 31, 2009 6:45 PM PST
In reply to: Thats perfect. Thanks!
Collapse -
cable arrived
by sbga01 / February 11, 2009 9:51 AM PST

I got the cable finally, hooked it up, but cannot figure out how to switch the display to it. When I press the input button it only lets me choose between the regular RCA inputs and the S-Video input, no HDTV selection. Any ideas?

Collapse -
(NT) Got a Model Number Of TV?
by Ski_rus12 / February 11, 2009 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: cable arrived
Collapse -
Mitsubishi
by sbga01 / February 11, 2009 9:50 PM PST

It's a Mitsubishi "Diamond Series" Model # VS-60803

Collapse -
Also...
by Ski_rus12 / February 12, 2009 1:02 PM PST

If you still have one, a good look through the user manual might help. I couldn't seem to find one online.

Collapse -
Do you already have something connected to the...
by ahtoi / February 12, 2009 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: cable arrived

component input (RCA)? I am just thinking maybe there should only be one component connection at a time.

Collapse -
yes
by sbga01 / February 12, 2009 12:55 PM PST

Yes I do, there are three RCA inputs and one S-video and I have something plugged into all of them... I'll try unplugging everything else and see what happens

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.