Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I need somebody to help stop an internet explorer revolt.

by Mickey_H / February 25, 2005 1:43 AM PST

About a month ago, My daughter's computer got very sick. It slowed down to a snail's pace not only online but even all the windows programs offline.
I asked a friend, who is knowlegable of computers, for help. He did some things I'd already tried (scans for virus, clean-up, defrag, system restore),and some things I hadn't.
Nothing helped. He said it seemed like something was running in the background and he couldn't figure out what. Finally. he did a system recovery, re-installed the things that needed to be, ran a couple of windows programs, went to a couple of websites, and Voila! , ok, problem solved.
But no. Over the next days, we found a lot of sites we couldn't go to, a lot of pages we couldn't open, the e-mail is eratic (her AOL and my YAHOO),we can't open windows updates and sometimes internet explorer. These are things we could do before the system recovery, althoughit was verrrry slowwwwly.
We now get an error message like #0x80072EE2 or it saya the site is no longer available or DNS error internet explorer.
Her computer is a compaq presario intel r, With windows XP, service pack 1, (I couldn't get it to install service pack 2 even when it was working right).
If anyone can help I'll dance at your wedding. I can't keep asking my friend for help because he doesn't have the option of refusing.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need somebody to help stop an internet explorer revolt.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need somebody to help stop an internet explorer revolt.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spyware
by Yew / February 25, 2005 2:56 AM PST

This is an ever growing problem for people who use Windows, and more specifically, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express (Windows Media Player is even being targeted to a small degree).

You can use the search box at the top of every page of these forums to search for posts detailing how to clean up spyware. Then, to help keep it off, you need to stop using Internet Explorer. Replace it with something like Mozilla Firefox, and if you use Outlook Express, replace that with Mozilla Thunderbird.

This will buy you maybe two years before spyware authors start exploiting Windows in general, not just IE, and spyware programs come bundled with more and more programs, commercial, freeware, and otherwise. A wise person would use this time to either become comfortable with using Linux, or saving up for a Mac. Microsoft itself is admitting to the fact that very soon it's platform may be hit with spyware that cannot be removed without damaging the OS. The ship is sinking, and Microsoft isn't interested in doing what it takes to save it. So you can either go down with it, or get aboard another ship.

Collapse -
Microsoft
by Mister Native / February 25, 2005 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware

If Microsoft is so bad, I'm wondering why you hang around this forum unless it's to steer people away.
With proper maintenance Internet Explorer and Outlook Express is quite functional. I'm supprised that you didn't recommend a Mac!

Collapse -
Regarding Sinking Ship
by michaelg281 / February 25, 2005 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware

Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading your article / post. Insightful and very well written.

Thanks,
mjg

Collapse -
RE I need help
by mackman / February 25, 2005 7:06 AM PST

Assuming that you scanned for ad/spy/malware look to the firewall security settings assuming you ARE using a software firewall.

Collapse -
reg internet explorer and sinking ship???????
by gopinath_sastra / February 25, 2005 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: RE I need help

have u tried to check the speed of the computer in
safe mode.If u have a cable or DSl always on connection
try to check the internet speed in safe mode with networking and please let me know the results
Also when boot to the desktop open the tasmgr(Alt+ctrl+del) or type taskmgr in run windows, and check what is the CPU usage if it is 80 or 90 percent then check which process is taking up lot of memory usage (like 10000 or more) then end that process
NOTE:donot end explore.exe and also svchost.exe
if the computer is pretty faster in safe mode then please reply so that we can try the next steps

And regarding the sinking ship
1 If you are thinking that windows is vulnerable then
I am sorry about that if u have any antivirus program +
firwall+spyware program+sp2 then i will bet u that it is secured forever

And regarding UNIX please donot think virus programs cannot be written for those OS,since it is less popular the programmers are not breaking their head to write virus or spyware programs for that
For your information windows is much attacked because it very user friendly and gives lot of permissions to modify even their system files and do whatever they can
easily,this is applicable for viruses also
Also LINUX which is 95% of UNIX has free download online with its code,dont u think noone can break LINUX or UNIX after having the code

so instead of changing the OS we shall why this is happening and reply me

Collapse -
how to enter safe mode
by gopinath_sastra / February 25, 2005 1:29 PM PST

restart your computer and kepp tapping F8 continuously until u see windows advanced boot options
select safe or safe mode with networking(if u want inet acces)
if u dont get the windows advanced boot options
then follow this way to goto enter safe mode
click start and click run and type MSCONFIG
and click ok
then click on BOOT.INI tab wich will be on top of the window and put a check mark in safe boot and automatically minimal will be selected
if u want to goto safe mode with networking
click start and click run and type MSCONFIG
and click ok
then click on BOOT.INI tab wich will be on top of the window and put a check mark in safe boot and put a check mark in network

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.