TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I Need some Speakers!

My mom is giving me her old TV and 5.1 receiver. She's keeping her speakers but I'm having a hard time finding JUST speakers! It seems like they all either come with a receiver (that I don't need) or a DVD player that I don't really need either. Are these boxed sets with DVD players meant to be used with receivers or does the DVD player do the amplifying? If I sound clueless it's because I AM! Happy I've spent the better part of the day researching and I'm no wiser than I was this AM. Please help!

BTW, I really don't want to spend more than $150-$200 for these speakers. Is there any hope for me?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I Need some Speakers!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I Need some Speakers!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well

In reply to: I Need some Speakers!

there are very many available for $200, as a pair. If you mean a whole 5.1, I say don't bother.

Collapse -
what do you want?

Do you want a 5.1 speaker set or would you settle for a 2.0 pair for $200? You will not find an even average quality 5.1 speaker set for $200, but you can get a good quality pair of speakers (2) for $200. Right now at some sites Infinity Primus 362 towers are on sale for $200 a pair. That is hard to beat.

Collapse -
Speakers

I don't know why they are acting like you can't get DECENT speakers for the $200-$300 budget, because you very well can. When I first got into home audio I bought a set of 7.1 Onkyo SKS-HT540 which get very good reviews from around the net, see CNET's review here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/onkyo-sks-ht540/4505-7868_7-31930496.html?tag=mncol;lst

Granted, they aren't mind-blowing speakers, but they shouldn't be for that price. What they are is a very respectable set of speakers for the money. You'll be amazed at just how large and well built they are, and also how much bass you'll get from the included (huge) subwoofer. I've now been using these speakers for over 6 months with both an Onkyo 605 and an Onkyo 805 most recently and I'm a happy customer. In the past few weeks I've switched out my fronts and center for AV123's Rocket lineup! Shocked

Your cheapest price on those will be found at either Amazon or J&R's (Amazon sells theirs through J&R's) and they'll run you about $290 with shipping. But these are a very good buy in speakers right now. Good luck!

Collapse -
More Info

In reply to: Speakers

Sorry, I should clarify--

These are not for my primary TV, they're for a TV that will mostly be for my son's Wii and Playstation. So they don't have to be top of the line. Believe me, I have no desire to hear Guitar Hero blasting through the ceiling from the second floor!

Many thanks to all and I'm off the check out the Onkyo speakers from the previous poster. Happy

Collapse -
I think of Onkyo products

In reply to: Speakers

as the "gateway drug". I do feel a small apology *might be in order. Sorry. But, as a counterpoint to the argument of "Granted, they aren't mind-blowing speakers, but they shouldn't be for that price.":

I think the Ascend 170 SE would indeed be mind-blowing for 99% of folks looking to build their first system. I've never heard such precise imaging, wide soundstage, and relatively utter clarity from any kind of similiar price point before.

As for less than mind-blowing, but very decent, one can still afford a pair from reputable brands such as Monitor Audio, PSB, KRK monitors, etc. The Behringer Truths for $130, or so, are said to have ridiculously linear drivers and x-over. When the kid moves out, you can have cabinet mods applied to them for super-audiophile levels of performance. Just what Ive reading lately.

I let my high brow tastes get in the way of this thread. Sorry.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.