Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

I need some plugs to transfer internet through the mains

by roscoeuk / November 30, 2009 11:11 PM PST

Hi - hope someone can help.

I have cable broadband (Virgin in the UK) and use a Netgear wireless router. I have just bought an Xbox 360 and want to hook it up to Xbox Live. Problem is that my router is in a different room to my TV (and xbox).

I know I can buy the Xbox wireless adaptor but a colleague told me about plugs that you can buy, which via ethernet cables, can transfer the connection over the mains and gives an excellent signal.

I saw these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XEB1004-85Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B00167D96S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259677749&sr=8-3

Seems like a good deal but wanted to make sure they were compatible with cable broadband. If not which ones are?

Thanks in advance

Roscoe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need some plugs to transfer internet through the mains
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need some plugs to transfer internet through the mains
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes. Should be fine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Yes these will do what you want within the limits of how these work. I won't duplicate the user manual but these need to be on the same mains circuit for them to communicate with each other.

So here's the picture I see.

Cable modem -> first Powerline Ethernet Switch -> over the mains -> second Powerline Ethernet Switch -> Router.

In this scenario we NEVER use the other 3 ethernet ports.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by roscoeuk / November 30, 2009 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Yes. Should be fine

Thanks Bob

Thats good news. I assume its on the same mains circuit.. the flat is individually metered so should be.

One other question - I have the netgear router plugged into the cable modem. Will having the Powerline Ethernet Switch plugged into the modem affect the performance of the wireless? I.e. will my girlfriend still be able to surf the internet wirelessly while I play the Xbox online?

Thanks again - Roscoe

Collapse -
Sorry mis-read
by roscoeuk / November 30, 2009 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Sorry misread your post.

Problem with having the router plugged into the second Switch is that I still need the Xbox wireless adaptor.

Will this work:

Cable modem
|
Netgear router - ethernet cable - First Powerline switch - mains - Second Powerline switch - ethernet cable - Back of Xbox

Cheers - Roscoe

Collapse -
by roscoeuk / November 30, 2009 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry mis-read

Or are you suggesting I can then plug an ethernet cable into the router when it is in the right room?

Sorry for numerous posts - thinking out loud!

Collapse -
Nail down the SCENARIO and we can talk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry mis-read

Will this work:

Cable modem -> Netgear router -> ethernet cable -> First Powerline switch -> mains -> Second Powerline switch -> ethernet cable -> Back of Xbox

Yup! Should be fine.

Collapse -
Yep thats the scenario
by roscoeuk / December 1, 2009 12:09 AM PST

Thats it - great I shall give it a go.

Certainly cheaper than the Xbox wireless adpator (

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?