Peripherals forum

General discussion

I need some monitor buying advice.

I want to purchase an LCD monitor and would like to be able to make an informed decision.

My budget is around $300-$400. If there is something good for less however, please let me know!

I'm thinking a 19", but I don't really know what you can get for that amount of money.

I don't know whether I want a widescreen, in the store the regular 19" looked bigger to me than the 19" widescreen for some reason. What are the pros and cons of regular vs widescreen?

I do not plan on watching movies on the monitor.

I will be using it for internet the majority of the time. I am getting into digital photography so I will probably be doing image editing with it in the future. I'm not a big gamer, but I would like to be able to play a game every once in awhile on it.

What happens if you set an LCD to a resolution below it's native? (I might want to set it lower for my mother when she uses it)

Do LCDs pose any health risks? (for instance, I heard that CRTs put out raditation)

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide!

P.S. While I have you reading this, what do you think of this monitor (it's on sale right now):
http://circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-19-Widescreen-Monitor-AL1916WASD/sem/rpsm/oid/158584/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need some monitor buying advice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need some monitor buying advice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Viewsonic is a good monitor

In reply to: I need some monitor buying advice.

I just picked up a Viewsonic VX2235wm 22" widescreen LCD for $389.00 at Compusa.
I do pretty much do what what you are doing. Photo editing, Video editing and some graphics work and play a few games.
One reason I bought the wide screen was I got the program Microsoft Flight Simulator X program and it is so much better with the wide screen. After using it to do some video editing I really like the bigger widescreen compaired to the 19" regular screen.
Also the 5ms response time is much better than my old LCD that had 25ms response time.
Just go to your computer store compare them and see what is right for you.
You can get a graphics card and hook it DVI as the picture is some what better. It can also be hooked up anolog and the picture is still very good.
Wayne

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Viewsonic is a good monitor

Thanks for the reply!

I heard somewhere that widescreens "stretch" images. Is this true? Because I would think that would be bad for image editing.

Collapse -
Maybe

In reply to: Thanks

That may be true, but I have not ran into that.
I use photoshop 6.0 and Microsoft Digital Image 2006 for my photos and Pinnacle Studio 9.0 for video and I haven't noticed any stretching on any of those programs at all.
After reading what you said, I hooked up my old 19" regular screen to see and I can't see any difference in my pictures.
I also ran a couple DVds both wide screen and full screen versions and still didn't see any stretching.
It maybe the way my computer is set up. I am using a PNY 7600GS graphics card with DVI to the monitor and doing all the settings through the card.
A friend of mine has a 19" HP wide screen hooked up anolog with no graphics card and he hasn't noticed it either.
If you have a Compusa or Best buy check with their techs about it.
Wayne

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Maybe

Thank you for going to the trouble to check on that for me! I appreciate it!

Collapse -
Any other suggestions?

In reply to: Thanks!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Collapse -
Samsung 22 inch widescreen

In reply to: Any other suggestions?

I had a 19" CRT monitor that I just replaced with a Samsung 225BW, 22" widescreen monitor. It was bought at Circuit City for $249.00 AFTER the $150.00 rebates that you had to send in, the regular price was $399.00. So far I couldn't be happier with it. I don't do gaming or anything like that, just the internet and digital photos.

Collapse -
hmmmm

In reply to: Any other suggestions?

im not an expert or anything but to tell you the truth the monitor is the biggest thing i have noticed differences with when upgrading.in my opinion its really the heart of the entire pc experience.you can throw in all the graphics cards and multicore processors u want but u wont notice a difference compared to upgrading the size of your monitor.i just got the dell 3007wfp 30 inch wide screen lcd and i can tell you i just look at even when its off and i am in awe.i have had nothing but great exp with dell monitors i have 3 18 inchers a 20 incher and now the 30 incher.i dont even want to sell the ones i dont use anymore.if 400 was my budget i would look into the dell 24 incher it may be above the budget but i think its worth it.had i not got the 30 i prob would of been very happy with the 24.what i would do is decide on the monitor and dont use circuit city or best buy or any retail store.plug the monitors name into ebay search engine and browse the auctions u can allways find anything that sells in retail stores for less money and you dont need to go to the store or wait on the lines Happy good luck

Collapse -
monitor buying advice

In reply to: Thanks!

I recently updated my LCD monitor to a 19". I purchased a Samsung regular screen. While the wide screens have some advantages, people and objects are distorted. I comapared the two screens side by side in a store and people were shorter and heavier. I paid under $300 Canadian and I see prices came down after Christmas. While there are some really nice monitors from Viewsonic and LG, I selected the Samsung which is as fast and as clear as they come (contrast ratio of 1000:1) based on reputation. And the picture is great, even though I don't yet have a DVI card in my old Mac....yet!

Collapse -
19 inch Monitor

I bought a beautiful perfoming 17"LCD monitor from Tiger direct for $90.00
They list 12 monitors 19 inches for $139 to $259. They are a great electronics company.

Collapse -
LG 1932TQ 19" LCD Monitor

Hi Lazarey,

I bought the LG Monitor 4 months ago and would do it again in a second. It's been a great monitor. I searched for about 3 weeks for the "right" one and my best advice to you is to go to the store and look before you buy.
After researching monitors, I went out and looked until I saw the LG at Best Buy. That sold me, as well as the great specs, such as 1400:1
contrast ratio and a super fast response time of 4 ms. It has a regular screen (aspect ratio of 4:3)and is very bright. The inputs are DVI-D & analog. It has a 3 year parts and labor warranty and I got it for under $300.00. Good luck.

Collapse -
Monitor Choice

A. Choice of monitor is a VERY personal and subjective decision. You can read all the specs you like but there is no substitute for going into your local computer store and comparing how they look. Once you've decided, buy online or at the discount store for best price.

I'm thinking a 19", but I don't really know what you can get for that amount of money.

A. I'm in UK, s prices won't mean much to you - a good 19" here costs around

Collapse -
additional stuff

Can't recommend any monitors by model specifically, but ViewSonic and Dell's UltraSharp models are overall great quality, altho you'll want to check up on each monitor via reviews

For your budget, it's possible to get big sized screen and good. You'll really wanna utilize sites like CouponMountain, Dealtime, and many others to leverage instant savings and rebates. Also, manfact like Dell will have sales throughout the year, which isn't as good as the deal sites mentioned, but they do occur at least once a quarter.

The stretching and distortion mentioned by post #8 is news to me, but then again, I'm not that well versed in widescreen LCDs.

I use std, but I've noticed widescreen is also nice for PC games (many support these res now that WS is more popular). I've seen ppl do side by side comparisons of large sized pages and pictures b/c WS offers that much more horizontal viewing area. Ppl with 21" WS LCDs even have say, 6 IM windows going on the screen at once with extra space left over to work on other stuff. If you'd like to get more viewing area on a std monitor, consider getting one that allows you to pivot the monitor and switch the orientation from landscape to portrait. I switch between portrait and landscape modes on my PDA for documents, pictures, and video, and it rocks

Collapse -
I need some monitor buying advice.

In reply to: additional stuff

I did buy a LCD sunsum SyncMASTER 17in 3 years ago wich costed me $475.00. and I do recomend it brand name (sunsum monitor are the best in the market, a bit expensives but relable the size is depending what you can afford,if you got enough money go for the bigger you won't regret it .
I trully love my 17 in

Collapse -
Monitor Mayhem

Lazarey,

Let us know which monitor you decided on.

Collapse -
I need some monitor buying advice

I bought a DCL 9A+ 19in. 1280x1024 Blk 8ms LCD Monitor from Tiger Direct in March of 2006 and LOVE it! At the time it cost $259.99 but they had a $70 rebate on it + shipping of $18.71 for a total price of $208.70. This is a VERY GOOD monitor with NO dead pixels and good speed, 700:1 contrast ratio and a wide viewing angle. However it DOES NOT have a digital signal input and the included speakers are WORTHLESS!

The one thing you should Not compromise on is speed. Insist on at LEAST "8ms". Anything slower (higher number) will result in "ghosting" of your curser or moving screens (playing games). I see the latest LCD's are coming out with 5ms speed.

In conclusion, get the highest contrast ratio and the fastest speed (lower number is faster) that you can get for the money. I suggest checking out Tiger Direct. I have No affiliation with them but they ship fast and have decent prices and they dealt fairly with me.

Collapse -
the response time is also subjective

In reply to: I need some monitor buying advice

Some reviews have mentioned that they've noticed some ghosting on a 16ms LCD but none on a 25ms LCD. I myself play some action/FPS games and some movies, but have never noticed any ghosting on my Dell UltraSharp 18.1" LCD with a 30ms response time! Which isn't to say it's not there, I may not have the eye for it, or some of the video and games I'm watching just wouldn't cause ghosting to appear here that would on other LCDs.

However, it's still good to go for a lower numbered response time. Just keep in mind it ain't absolute. 5ms isn't necessarily going to to be hands down better than 12ms, especially if you're paying a premium for the former

Collapse -
Viewsonic 22' great colors

I got a Viewsonic 22' back in Nov.06 I read all the reviews I could find and settled on this unit. I paid $399,00 US and just got a $20.00 rebate in the mail. My reasons, from the review info was this monitor had the best factory presets for color. There is nothing more agrivating than having to fiddle with color settings all the time. This monitor has factory presets for Standard, Text, Cinema, Game,Portrait, Scenery and Vivid apearances. I might not agree with how they were named but eaach one is totally different and very useful. It's a one button push and I set the Brightness and Contrast one time. The picture is great even at 500 x 800 resolution (Gaming in "Vietcong") It doesnt adjust for height as the Samsung and the built in speakers are Low Fi, but there was not one dead or stuck pixel< I NEVER HAVE TO ADJUST THE COLORS OR OTHER PICTURE SETTINGS, JUST HIT THE CHOICES ABOVE. I WAS AS CAUTIOUS AS YOU ARE IN MAKING MY CHOICE AND THIS MONITOR IS GREAT WITH A RESPONCE OF 5MS ITS GREAT FOR GAMING OR PUTING TWO SCREENS SIDE BY SIDE. THERE HAS BEEN NO DISTORTION OF ANY KIND THAT I'VE SEEN AND IT ROCKS IN COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR AND other FLT, SYMS. tRY AND FIND ONE SET UP TO LOOK AT AND THE PICTURE WILL SELL YOU. THERE ARE NO DARK OR BRIGHT SPOTS AND TO FIX THE SMALL BUTTONS I STUCK ON PEICES OF STICK ON RUBBER FEET. GOOD LUCK AND CHECK OUT THE DEAD PIXEL POLICES ON ANYTHING YOU CONSIDER BUYING, IT JUST MIGHT CHANGE YOU MIND ABOUT OTHER BRANDS!

Collapse -
Sony's bright picture

In reply to: Viewsonic 22' great colors

I'm thinking of replacing my 6 year old 21" Mitsibushi CRT with an LCD as well. Since I've gotten used to the large screen size, I was hoping to be able to at least afford a 20" LCD.

In doing side by side comparisions of the LG's, Samsung's, Viewsonic's and Sony's, I have to say that the 19" Sony Xbrite had the most impressive picture. Even though the contrast ration was only 550:1 , the picture just seemed to me to be brighter and sharper than the others. I'm assuming that Sony's 400 cm/m2 brightness feature was the reason for it's superior picture.

However, since I am a BF2 gamer, Sony's 16ms response time is making me lean closer to choosing the Samsung 20.1" Synchmaster(my 2nd choice). The Samsung's aspect ration is 4:3, so will I regret not going with the widescreen aspect sometime in the near future? I sure hope not.

Collapse -
Go Sony

Widescreen is better.

It works but picture quality is worse.

Not that it's known of.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.