Computer Help forum

Question

i need some help with this!

i recently added an additional 1g ram to my PC causing me to have 3 gigs,since after i am unable to play any games.the game would start up then shut down when i begin playing.
my system is :
200 GB hdd space, Intel 2.4 gig processor,9500 gt video card 3 gigs ram.

PLEASE HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need some help with this!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need some help with this!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Shut down all other running applications.

In reply to: i need some help with this!

Collapse -
Answer
Am I reading this correctly?

In reply to: i need some help with this!

You added another gig of RAM and now you're having problems? Are you saying you were not having the problems before adding RAM? If so, the corrective action becomes simple. 3 GB is an odd combination and we don't know how you've populated the slots or whether the modules are even compatible with one another. I'd doubt there's a way to optimize performance with that combination.

Collapse -
havent found out the problem,but i have another question

In reply to: Am I reading this correctly?

how can i upgrade from 32 bit -64 bit????????????

thanks

Collapse -
Hard to say because ...

In reply to: havent found out the problem,but i have another question

you haven't told us what Operating System you are currently using and what OS you would like to go to.

Fill us in on the details.

If that 2.4 Ghz processor is a single core it rally wouldn't benefit you much going to a 64 bit OS on such a dated machine.

Collapse -
sorry about that

In reply to: Hard to say because ...

am running win 7 home premium,and the peocessor is a dual core, my rating is 4.9,
any thing else?

Collapse -
If your PC came with Win7 installed

In reply to: sorry about that

it is probable that your system can accommodate the 64 bit version of the OS. If this was a retail purchase of the Win7 DVD, it probably came with both the 32 and 64 bit versions. You are allowed to use the one disk of your choice but not both. You cannot upgrade from one to another but must do a clean installation if changing to 64 bit. If you remain at 3GBs of RAM, you'll not be taking advantage of what the 64 bit version offers in the way of being able to accommodate more memory. You'd need to go 4GB and upward but this doesn't mean you'll get a noticeable performance boost such as trading a Vega for a Corvette. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
OK, now I see also that yours is the ...

In reply to: sorry about that

GeForce 9500 GT but you haven't mentioned whether it is the 256 meg or the 512 meg version. If you have AERO enabled you aren't leaving much for the card to handle graphic challenges that games offer.

You also haven't mentioned WHAT GAME(s) you are having problems with. I will say that the begin to start then just shutting down sounds like what I have sometimes run across on computers brought to me that I discover P2P software installes on and upon questioning I discover that the games causing their problems had been aquired either through file sharing or via cracks. If this describes your situation you have found the probable cause and cure.

If that didn't describe your situation please tell us which games and we can take a look at system requirements.

You mention having a "rating is 4.9" but if the graphics card has 512 meg on it that doesn't look right. What are the 5 component sub-scores? Not being nosy, just trying to pinpoint the problem.

Collapse -
9500 gt 1 gb ddr 2

In reply to: OK, now I see also that yours is the ...

fear 3 is a game for example, i used the skidrow crack, with the pc rating the 4.9 is the graphic score, everthing else is 5 and up.

Collapse -
You said you used a "crack"??

In reply to: 9500 gt 1 gb ddr 2

You're going to find that there's no support offered when someone asks for help and admits to having pirated software on their PC.

Collapse -
Skidrow

In reply to: You said you used a "crack"??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_warez_groups#SKiDROW

"SKiDROW is a cracking group known for breaking the UbiSoft DRM protection.[56] SKiDROW has released their content since 1990, having originated on the Amiga out of the ashes of Paranoimia. Skid Row continued for two years on Amiga before internal conflicts led to them disbanding, with members like Blackhawk returning back to resurrect Paradox. Between 2004 and 2007 they seemed to have faded away, but since 2007 they have released many things: trainers, games and cracks. Although they were releasing many games, they truly became well known in the gaming community after cracking Ubisoft's first DRM version. Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic and Assassin's Creed II utilize this type of protection, and both have been cracked by SKiDROW, among many other games. Ubisoft's second DRM version has also been cracked by them, in games such as From Dust and Shaun White Skateboarding. Their most recent release is Assassin's Creed: Revelations for PC which was released 9 days ahead of the official date.[57]"

We can't help. Sorry.

Discussion locked.

Mark
Collapse -
Success!

In reply to: 9500 gt 1 gb ddr 2

the solution is likely what I said previously:

"I discover that the games causing their problems had been acquired either through file sharing or via cracks. If this describes your situation you have found the probable cause and cure."

I hope you have also assiduously performed malware and rootkit scans with reliable scanners. If not try them in Safe Mode and in this order:

1. RKILL
2. MalwareBytes
3. Super Anti-Spyware
3. Sophos Anti-Rootkit - http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.aspx

Surprising how many people have great trust in people who steal software simply because they then allow others to use it after undocumented modifications. Surely they would never do anything that could possibly be bad for your computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.