Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

i need some help extending power supply

by rggovani / March 20, 2008 4:11 PM PDT

ok so i recently bought a N router which i am going to place in like the middle of my house to it can get good signal
HERE IS THE PROBLEM
i have to connect my router to a power outlet on a basement wall which is about 10 ft away from my router is so i have a wire that only has a plug ( i can only connect this side to the wall) the other side is cut and is missing what i am trying to do is that i have a small power extending wire which has both the ends, so i want to connect the first long wire to this new small power extending wire, the trouble is that i cant figure out which wire should i connect to the which pin on the small wire
the big wire had three wires in it, BLACK, GREEN and White, all i want to know is which two wire should i connect to which pins of the small wire

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need some help extending power supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need some help extending power supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BE CAREFUL!!!
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2008 8:36 PM PDT

Home wiring, as you've found, contains a black, white and green. The black is "hot", white is "neutral", and the green is "ground". You will connect the black and white. Take note of the new cord. There will be a tracer, or ridges on one of the conductor insulation. Connect this to the black wire. BE SURE to turn the power off at the circuit breaker before you start splicing. Home power will kill you!

I'm almost tempted to cancel this post. If you have any qualms, call a licensed electrician. Wiring it wrong may kill the router and may start a fire.

Collapse -
dude chill
by rggovani / March 21, 2008 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: BE CAREFUL!!!

hey chill, my father is a engineer but a had a bit of a argument with him so i dont want to as him

ok i knew we had to connect the black and the white wire but my main question was that, where do i connect it. the new wire i have has both male and female ends ( i am not sure of which is what) i basically want to connect to the end which had two pins and these pins go into the wall if we need to extend the power. in this wire there are two size of wires one is kinda big then the other( this wire does not hae earthing)so does the white one go into the big one or the black one or the vice versa

Collapse -
ok never mind
by rggovani / March 21, 2008 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: BE CAREFUL!!!

ok i some how asked me dad
and he said the black wire goes in the small pin of the new wire
and
the white wire goes in big pin of the small wire

u think he is right??

Collapse -
Exactly. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 21, 2008 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: ok never mind

The different sized slots were developed to allow outlets to be polarized as a safety enhancement. The larger slot connects the common wire (white) in the outlet to the common wire in a device. The smaller slot connects the "hot - black" wires. By forcing the smaller blade of the plug to always connect the hot wires, the outlet is polarized.

Collapse -
ok
by rggovani / March 21, 2008 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Exactly. . .

hey thanks for conforming
i knew my dad could not be wrong

Collapse -
It's amazing. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 21, 2008 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

The older YOU get the smarter dad gets.

Collapse -
and annoying
by rggovani / March 21, 2008 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: It's amazing. . .

and annoying

Collapse -
(NT) That's our job.
by Coryphaeus / March 21, 2008 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: and annoying
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.