Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

I Need Opinions! !!

by m_cor / February 18, 2008 2:05 PM PST

Hi there! I'm a thesis student at a Canadian university and I'm looking for regular iTunes (or any other online music store) users that would be willing to answer some questions for me. I'm doing some research into what people find particularly displeasing about the process of purchasing online music. If anyone could please answer as many of the following questions as possible I'd be VERY VERY pleased!
(If any further information would be needed for you to reply, just ask)

THE QUESTIONS:

What do online music purchases offer you that CDs, cassettes and other forms of packaged music cannot?

Do you ever purchase packaged music? If so, why?

Is there anything you feel is absent from the process of purchasing online music?

Which online music store(s) do you use? How satisfied are you with their method(s) of selling music? Why?

What are your feelings on DRM protected music?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I Need Opinions! !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I Need Opinions! !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: I Need Opinions! !!

What do online music purchases offer you that CDs, cassettes and other forms of packaged music cannot?

Nothing.

Many times. Why -> Because it plays in my car.

Is there anything you feel is absent from the process of purchasing online music?

No.

Which online music store(s) do you use? How satisfied are you with their method(s) of selling music? Why?

iTunes, Amazon. Why -> Because it works.

Doesn't apply. DRM is a non-issue to anyone that can get to google.com.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by m_cor / February 20, 2008 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

Thank you very much for your response!

If anyone else cares to answer, that would be fantastic, I need as many answers as possible!! Please !

Collapse -
by ktreb / February 20, 2008 11:51 AM PST

1. Convenience and the ability to pick and choose only the songs I want.

2. Yes. Only for my favorite artists that I've been following for a long time (10-20 years+) when I actually want a physical product and want the entire album.

3. no

4. iTunes and Amazon.com's mp3 downloads. Very satisfied. Convenience and ease of use.

5. DRM used to not bother me. It does now in the face of Sony ending its music store and their stuff no longer working as of the end of March, I think. If the same thing ever happens to iTunes, I could see myself getting very pissed.

Collapse -
my 2 cents
by workshopmusic / March 10, 2008 8:16 AM PDT

immediacy

most of my purchases are packaged music because I want the packaging and art the way it was created for the artist. i purchase some on iTunes.

the presentation, the packaging. you also wonder if the artist is compensated but this is always a question with music biz accounting practices with the old media as well.

I use iTunes, because it works extremely well.

DRM is self-defeating. The reason for all the evasion of payment is that the music business is offering things that people do not assign value to, thus they avoid payment. A basically dishonest artistic/commercial action is answered by a basically dishonest taking of the product. This is plain to see in the top pop music, R&B, dance acts that are prevalent. The music has no lasting value, it is considered temporary and throw-away in nature, and people can and will (wrongly) excuse themselves for not paying for such a product.

If the business and accounting people got out of the way and let the artists reach the public, I think it would be much easier for the public to understand why they need to pay for what they receive.

If the business were to allow the public's tastes to be heard... rather than trying to dictate those tastes... all the DRM, rootkits etc. would be shown to be unnecessary. People will buy something they perceive to have value.

DRM is technically unfeasible because there are people who love the technical challenge of breaking it, and they seem to be inspired to do so by the reciprocal mistrust of the record industry. People tend to rise or descend to whatever is expected of them. From this point of view DRM is a failed piece of marketing psychology. The industry is actually creating its own worst-case scenario by doing this.

The other problem with DRM is that when I pay for a piece of music I have a reasonable expectation of being able to play it on any player I own, in my car, on the computer, on an iPod etc. Limiting of portability... particularly when something has been bought honestly... is more of the behavior seen as draconian and controlling. People don't like it, it defies common sense, and once again it shows an industry treating its customers without respect.

Good luck with your research!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?