TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I need information/answers about tunrerless DVD recorder.

by d.a.grice / September 21, 2008 10:24 AM PDT

Hi. I have a HDTV and am thinking of buying a dvd recorder/vcr combo. My question is since my tv has a built in turner would I be able to use a tunerless dvd recorder/vcr to record live television programs? From what I've read tunerless dvd recorders often need a cable/satallite hookup to record from tv but is that still true if my digital set has a built in tuner?
Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need information/answers about tunrerless DVD recorder.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need information/answers about tunrerless DVD recorder.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to find...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 11:56 AM PDT

What signal you would be recording. Remember that almost all HDTV receivers do not all recording of the HD content. Some and not all allow you to record in SD resolution. No one can guess if you can use this recorder until the video source is identified.
Bob

Collapse -
"What signal you would be recording."......
by d.a.grice / September 21, 2008 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: You need to find...

I'm sure I don't know Bob. That's why I came here for answers :). I'm for all intents and purposes a tech/digital imbucile. All I know is that I have a VCR that allows me to record the evening news & the occasional Doctor Who episode if I so desire. I'm looking for a dvd recorder that will offer me the same option. I don't know a flip about dvd recorders and didn't know until last night that I should look for one that specifically notes it has a built in turner. Silly me I know. I checked around the internet and found conflicting opinions. Some posters said no way would tunerless record without cable/satallite while others said a tunerless dvd recorder would record ota signals if used with a hdtv. I didn't know whom to believe so I came here. I trust CNET and the posters here to give accurate info.
Thanks for the response and please please pardon my 'ignorance' Happy
D.A.

Collapse -
Check your TV,
by ahtoi / September 21, 2008 4:20 PM PDT

if it has an video+audio output connections then you may not need a tuner; but if it doesn't have one then you will need a tuner of some kind.

Collapse -
Thank you
by d.a.grice / September 22, 2008 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Check your TV,

Ahtoi. I appreciate the information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?