Computer Help forum

General discussion

I need help with windows xp

by AussieGQ / October 5, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

ok first off i have 2 hard drives on my pc. my hp recovery which is C drive where xp is installed and the main hard drive i use which is D.

i wanted to change the name of my C drive to something else so i was playing around and went to this link here(see below). i went into Regedit.exe and into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, and then MountedDevices and changed the name of C drive into M drive and i changed my D drive into C. i restarted and now windows wont load properly. i cant get to my desktop, im stuck at the blue windows xp load screen just before you get to the desktop.

how can i change the letters of the drives back to the way they were before without being able to access my desktop. i obviously screwed up windows since it doesnt recognze itself on the new drive, so i need to change it back.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5959344_change-system-drive-c.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help with windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help with windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two options.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 4:58 AM PDT

Boot SAFE MODE and try last known good configuration.

A little more advanced but you can do it. Look up NTPASSWD. This bootable CD can do an offline registry edit so you can put your registry back.

Good luck, Bob

Collapse -
re:
by AussieGQ / October 5, 2010 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Two options.

booting in safe mode and last known configuration didnt work.

ill try this NTPASSWD. could you give me alil overview and tell me what to do step by step?

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

No step by step available. But the short version is to boot the NTPASSWD CD then use it's registry editor to change it back.
Bob

Collapse -
re:
by AussieGQ / October 5, 2010 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

i have no idea how to do that.

Collapse -
Be more specific.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 5:29 AM PDT

How to create a NTPASSWD CD is out on the internet.
Booting said CD is out there too.

Editing the registry is not unlike what you did before so I'm left to wonder which step eluded you.

Tell a bit more. Research and trying this beats the alternative.
Bob

Collapse -
re:
by AussieGQ / October 5, 2010 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Be more specific.

i booted my pc from cd and had the NTPASSWD run from the cd. but i dont know how to change the name of a disk drive letter using this program?

Collapse -
Good. We're past the initial steps and ready to edit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

Here's a guide on how to use ntpasswd's registry editor:
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/regedit.txt

You have the registry items you want to edit in your first post.

Yes, it is a little advanced but you edited the registry without a backup so we get to dive in and edit it back using a new tool.

There is one other way I've used which is to pull the drive and load the hive on another machine but that does not appear to be an option here. Besides it can result in 2 banged up OSes.
Bob

Collapse -
re:
by AussieGQ / October 5, 2010 6:33 AM PDT

i look at that guide and its way too advanced for me. i cant see how it tells me to edit the names of hard drives. so i think its best i just reformat my HD and start over.

is there anyway to access my desktop quickly to back up some files and reformat?

Collapse -
You revealed what registry keys in your first post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 6:44 AM PDT

And the guide is not advanced. It is only confusing at first. I think you want a key by key stroke guide and that does not exist.

As to saving your files, we cover that in the Cnet Storage Forum in the top post labeled Lost and Found. We use another boot CD which is thankfully more Windows like.

Try this link:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-354911.html?tag=threadListing;forum-threads

Post number 2 "The LaCie Miracle" is where you read about accessing other drives and copying out files.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?