Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

I need help with my Xbox 360!

by charles32533 / November 2, 2009 6:29 AM PST

I have the Xbox 360, the 20GB verson, and I got the E74 error, Thats the hard drive error it hase one red ring, and I took my hard drive and replaced it with my friends and it said the same E74 error.

I created this problem when I was in a middle of a Xbox Live match and I took the hard drive out in the middle of the game, I know that was really stupid, I just wasnt thinking.

I lost my information to my email that I registered my Xbox under, and I made it under a Yahoo email instead of a Hotmail Email. So I cant send my xbox in with out my account information, so I am forced to get a new Xbox.

I'm pretty tight on money right now so, I was wondering if I would be able to get a Xbox Acrade and put my old hard drive in the Arcade, and still able to register the Xbox Acrcade with a new Email, and make a new Gamertag and account.

Would I be able to do that?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help with my Xbox 360!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help with my Xbox 360!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably
by Jimmy Greystone / November 2, 2009 8:13 AM PST

Probably, but it's Microsoft, so there's always a chance something will go screwy.

You'll also have to reload any games you may have saved to the hard drive, or any content you downloaded won't work. Saved games and your XBL account info should probably still be in tact.

Also, not sure if it's all that cost effective, but you might want to call the Xbox support line and ask them about their no-questions asked repair options. Pretty much everyone has them. You send in your unit, pay some fee, and then no matter what's wrong with the system, they'll fix it. You can also see if they can look up your info based on the serial number of the system. It's at least worth a shot before you go spend money on a new system.

Collapse -
Micrisft covers E-74 error in some cases
by wthilo / November 5, 2009 8:42 AM PST

The E-74 error may not be a result of the hard drive, but in fact be the same issue as the ROD. Microsoft has decided some months ago to cover the E-74 error if it is related to the same issue as the ROD and has reimbursed anyone who paid to have their 360 repaired, if the E-74 error was related to the ROD. If the E-74 error is not related to the ROD, and no longer covered under the one year warranty then of course you would have to pay to get it fixed. the most I heard anyone paying to get anything repaired on the 360 was $100.00, which is still half the cost of an Arcade system. Although if you buy an Arcade system you get the latest chipset (new CPU and GPU that generate a lot less heat than the original chips did). You should also try your hard drive on your friends system to confirm whether or not you have a bad hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.