Desktops forum

General discussion

I NEED HELP WITH MY NVIDIA 7900 GTO, I cant get it to work!!

by Gigity Gigity Goo / October 20, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

yeah... look ^^^ at the title. i have an Nvidia 7900 gto that I JUST got today. so i put it in... i realized i was gonna need a WAY better PSU, so i go from a 300 watt crappt psu to a good modular 600 watt psu with those cords u can take out. basicly i KNOW its NOT the video card thats broke. # 1,... i saw on BOTH WIN VISTA AND WIN XP MCE that it works fine. # 2 if i play around with the bios i WILL get it to work and boot with the display manager and stuff on PCI-E selection. on PCI-E when i go to ANY vidoe game it will freeze the whole pc down. WHEN i go to PCI selection i will be able to play the game for like 30 sec, then the pc willl freeze. on onboard gpu selection it wont even work saying i need a vga compatible.... bla bla bla. well basicly i HAD a radeon x300 se witch SUX. with that gpu i could ACTULY RUN GAMES IN ONBOARD MODE. i dont get it... i THINK its either my motherboard or bios. i have feonix version something(its an HP media center). so WHY WOULD MY PC WORK PCI-E on a radeon but NOT and nvidia? well thats not the sollution att all.
i need to know if i can update my bios to make it work (and how) or will i need to buy a new motherboard(and how much will it cost, will it EVEN work) or am i COMPLETELY WRONG and i need to do something else

just so you know i have an hp media center upgraded with:

a 600 watt modular PSU

AMD x2 4800

1.73 gig of RAM

1 (250 gig,[one 160 gig hdd] 250 has xp MCE, 160 got vista)

yup... thats it thx for ur help!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I NEED HELP WITH MY NVIDIA 7900 GTO, I cant get it to work!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I NEED HELP WITH MY NVIDIA 7900 GTO, I cant get it to work!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
7900 nvidia
by ddbpack / October 21, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

did it come with an install disk? if so use it/ and downloading the latest drivers might be needed as well

Collapse -
DRIVERS
by Scrotes4Life / October 21, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

Remove the ATI drivers, if you had an ATI video card. Be sure that the onboard graphix are disabled in the DEVICE MANAGER. Install the nVidia drivers from the supplied CD. In your nVidia Control Panel, check for updates. If there are any, it will shoot you thru the internet to nVidia.

Collapse -
Nvidia
by cybercat-5 / October 21, 2006 7:17 PM PDT

Nvidia tend to release new drivers for there latest 4-8 types of graphics Cards on a 3-5 month cycle so install the drivers that came with your G/C and check the Nvidia driver site every, say two weeks.

Collapse -
I already tried all of those
by Gigity Gigity Goo / October 22, 2006 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Nvidia

ok guys... i KNOW its NOT the driver.... its either my motherboard or my bios on my motherboard. i tried updating it with HP's website, and downloaded the uptating bios program. after I downloaded the update for my bios i got an error message so i think its my bios or motherboard. so im probably going to have to buy a new motherboard and reinstall windows. i got a recovery cd set already so its not a problem to reinstall windows. I need a cheap but reALLY GOOD MOTHERBOARD MADE SPISIFICLY FOR NVIDIA. sry for caps... so i dont wana hear about drivers becuase i GOT THE CARD TO WORK for 20 sec when i set the bios for pci mode, but my gpu is a pci-e.when i go on pci-e mode it will log on but when i play a game it crashes. on onboard graphics mode it will not even detect the gpu and boot the graphics fom te onboard radeon 200 m series. so i KNOW its not the driver OR THE GPU. its the motherboard or bios. im sorry for not clerifying earlier. i just need a motherboard sollution that is cheap. once again it would be helpfull if i could find a an ATX motherboard for cheap as hell that is geared towards sli/nvida that has ATLEAST 1 pci-e slot and 2 pci slots. thx for your help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?