HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I need help with hdtv hookup and dvd recorder

by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 7:53 PM PST

I have a 47 in. olevia hdtv, Bose cinemate and I just got a Toshiba d-r550 dvd recorder, I have hooked up the recorder and tried to set the hdmi but it won't show a signal, only for cable channel 4, I got this to help get a better picture since I only have a digital cable box, scientific atlantic brand, till the cable co. gets in some hd boxes, I don't know what is wrong, I hope someone can help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help with hdtv hookup and dvd recorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help with hdtv hookup and dvd recorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
need help with recorder
by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 8:55 PM PST

I do have the book and connected as instructed but still no signal. I don't know what else to do.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 9:01 PM PST

I thought I'd start off with that link so others can chime in. But it appears the unit is either defective or not ready for the market. I would try the composite or DVI link then return the product as defective.

Bob

Collapse -
need help
by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

This unit does play a dvd fine, just doesn't get a hdmi signal, so is that still defective, this was the reason I got it for my hdtv,I wanted a better picture, i was told a upconverter would help.

Collapse -
That's a FINE CLUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: need help

Some of the copy protections built in as well as limitations in chipsets could thwart the HDMI from working if you hooked up the composite cables. Those little details could be helpful.

Bob

Collapse -
help
by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: That's a FINE CLUE!

I haven't hooked up the composite cables, the directions said to only use the HDMI cable, so I guess this is defective. Or not? I thought it was me.

Collapse -
"This unit does play a dvd fine" Please explain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: help

You wrote "This unit does play a dvd fine" so there must have been some audio and video working for this to be shared?

Collapse -
dvd help
by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 9:52 PM PST

yes the dvd plays a dvd, I thought with the upconverter, I was supposed top get a better picture and have the hdmi conection, not say no signal, do I send this back?.

Collapse -
Now I'm confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: dvd help

How could I write its playing a DVD if I can't see the video?

Try one last thing. Unplug the HDMI and plug it back in firmly. Check that your TV has selected that input.

Bob

Collapse -
getting agravated with this machine
by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Now I'm confused.

I already unplugged and replugged 10 minutes ago and double checked both tv and dvd recorder for the setting to hdmi and still no signal.

Collapse -
help
by confused in florida / February 26, 2008 10:00 PM PST

Do you think I have a dud machine?

Collapse -
Sounds like it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: help

Do any other HDMI things work through that port on the TV?

Collapse -
One last question
by confused in florida / February 27, 2008 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds like it.

After talking to a few people at Toshiba and not getting anywhere, then the last one said it is working if it plays a dvd, even thought it won't accept a hdmi signal, I give up, like I said before I thought having this model would improve my tv picture, I called my cable co. and they said unless I have a hd box it won't give me a signal, I ordered one.

Collapse -
Still confused (me)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 1:04 AM PST

When you write it plays a DVD, where it the video showing up?

Collapse -
(NT) or "is"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Still confused (me)
Collapse -
video
by confused in florida / February 27, 2008 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Still confused (me)

When I played a dvd it showed up on the regular cable channel 4 and then on 3.

Collapse -
Ahh. Remember my warning above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: video

If there is any connection other than HDMI it may shut off HDMI...

Collapse -
It sound like you need...
by ahtoi / February 27, 2008 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: video

to change the TV viewing mode to hdmi.; this might also appliy to the dvd recorder output as well. Another thing (sorry to say, but..) the hd-box is not goning to help you with your dvd viewing at all. Without going into the nitty gritty of the hdmi problem, there is component connection that you can use as well. I don'thave an alevia tv therefore I can't tell you the exact step/s that's need to get this thing going.

Collapse -
I need help with new dvd recorder
by confused in florida / February 27, 2008 5:18 AM PST

I think I have confused everyone here, what I wanted was to get a better tv picture and thought this recorder with the hdmi cable would help with that, I now know better, I do need a hd cable box. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
This player do have upconversion/upscale sopport;
by ahtoi / February 27, 2008 5:42 AM PST

You SHOULD get better picture on your dvd viewing (at least the commercially produced one).

Collapse -
Olevia TV
by Nitehowk / February 29, 2008 6:29 AM PST

Have you tried changing the "Source"? On your TV remote control, hit source and select HDMI - it should work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.