HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I need help wiping my computer completely

by bigboy7foru1 / March 13, 2008 11:40 AM PDT

I have pretty good computer skills but not so much on the technical side... I need elp wiping my xp and everything on it and then uploading a new xp operation system

I know theres a way to delete everything on command prompt but i forgot how.

If anyone can help me that would be great

also i think my computer has a virus too

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help wiping my computer completely
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help wiping my computer completely
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Sure
by bigboy7foru1 / March 13, 2008 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a link

im not sure what all that is... im not trying to run a dual OS... if you can maybe explain it a little that would be nice

Collapse -
Easy
by dhrwfan / March 13, 2008 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Sure

Go here and download this and make a CD or floppy and boot and select low level format.

Then reinstall operating system on a clean brand new {LIKE} hard drive since this Maxtor utility will give you a pass or fail on you hard drive condition when it is finished writing the drive to zeros.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Maxtor_Powermax_d1386.html

Collapse -
pass or fail
by bigboy7foru1 / March 14, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy

what happens if it fails

Collapse -
If it fails.
by YankeesNYwins / March 14, 2008 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: pass or fail

If it fails that means something is not right with the hard drive and it probably needs replaced.

They get cheaper by the minute. Found here..my best source.

www.Newegg.com

Collapse -
thanks
by bigboy7foru1 / March 14, 2008 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: If it fails.

thank you

Collapse -
Just offer a little bit more details,all right?
by panther_stalking / March 13, 2008 7:47 PM PDT

Do you have an installation CD of Windows XP? If you do,things will be much easier. First,set the boot sequence under BIOS,put CD-ROM priority first,save and exit. Second,insert your installation CD into your CD/DVD-ROM. Third,once you're under DOS environment,you can choose to delete all the local partitions on your hard drive(s). That way,your system is totally "wiped".

Collapse -
Yes I do
by bigboy7foru1 / March 14, 2008 1:56 AM PDT

I have the OS for XP on a cd already... and all the programs i want too

thanks for your help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.