Desktops forum

General discussion

I need help Upgrading My Computer Part 2

by evertime123 / August 3, 2012 6:55 PM PDT

Thank you to the people who helped me on my last thread.
This time I would like somebody to double check their suggestions to me and possibly suggest a new Processor.

Windows Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) (32bit)
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Memory (RAM): 3062 MB
CPU Info Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
CPU Speed: 1792.1 MHz
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output |

Display Adapters: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1x; Plug and Play Monitor |
Screen Resolution: 1920 X 1080 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters; Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: 3x (D: | E: | F: | ) D: TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653B | E: | F:
Ports: COM Ports NOT Present. LPT Port NOT Present.
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 149.0GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 69.8GB
USB Controllers: 8 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
Manufacturer *: Dell Inc.
Product Make *: Vostro 200
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/20/08 | DELL: - 42302e31
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery Status :No Battery
Motherboard: * Dell Inc. 0CU409

And the suggestions were.

That machine seems to be a slim line tower.
300w psu.
One x16 slot.

Shop for a Hd 5450 low profile Gpu.

And
Here's one at amazon.com, newegg.com

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-Express-Graphics-900358/dp/B005FG1XV4 (under 50)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882 (under 40)

I didn't see the bracket on the first one but I could have missed it.
Bob

I just need to be double sure.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help Upgrading My Computer Part 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help Upgrading My Computer Part 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check and verify
by Willy / August 4, 2012 2:54 AM PDT

Well, you haven't even determined what case you have, you need to know. It's a slimline or std. short case. Here's a link to a std. but short case:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Dell-Vostro-200_Desktop-PC_review (std. short case)

It's important to know, due to "space" within the case. If like the link provided case example, then a std. or typical video card will do. If a slimline, then you need a "low profile" video card. The video card will readily explain that feature. If you get a low profile it will fit in either the std. short or slimline case. It becomes apparent that it's small enough for the slimline if yours is that type of PC. The links you provided show "low profile" GPU.

As for any CPU replacement, Dell and many other OEM build PCs don't always allow the full line of cpus available even if proper because Dell has limited this feature. The bios is NOT as flexible and limits any cpu upgrade path. You can have the right class and type cpu, but because the bios won't provide full support will either reduce its abilities(ie: FSB) or hang. Say, you install a 3.2Ghz(dual) cpu, it may only be acknowledged as 3.0ghz but work or not. Of course, you can google away as others may offer their experiences or results and give real insight into what to expect. I tend to stick to same FSB selection like 500/800 or 400/500, etc., so if you know what yours is then a cpu using the same FSB, will more readily be accepted, but may NOT up to its full range as the bios allows. Thus, it always helps to update the bios to the latest release. For Dell PCs that relatively easy operation to do, get the Axx bios update and follow instructions fully.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: Check and Verify
by evertime123 / August 4, 2012 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Check and verify

It's a dell vostro 200 slim line tower.
Thank you for informing me of the difference between video cards.

Collapse -
If this was me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 2:58 AM PDT

The Newegg would get my sale because I am sure of the bracket.

And this is THE card for such machines where we can't bump the PSU and change cases, etc.

All the prior discussions should have covered that a gamer would be unhappy but games should run now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.