Computer Help forum

Question

I need help upgrading my Acer Desktop computer

So I bought this computer: Acer Ax1420g-u5832

I want to upgrade it so that I can play games like BF3, Skyrim, and other modern games with high settings and good framerate. To do that I will need a new case, gpu, psu, and possibly motherboard.

These are the things I've been looking at: Antec Three Hundred case, Thermaltake V3 Case, Corsair 600w Power Supply

I've looked at a few motherboards but I noticed that the ports on the motherboard don't add up to the slots for the ports on the cases. I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on the best way to upgrade this computer. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help upgrading my Acer Desktop computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help upgrading my Acer Desktop computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Buy a new computer

In reply to: I need help upgrading my Acer Desktop computer

Buy a new computer, it'll be easier by the time you're done. The only things you'll likely be able to salvage out of your current computer are the HDD and ODD, which are a pittance in relation to all the other stuff you'd have to buy.

Don't even bother thinking about upgrading, focus on buying or building an entirely new computer.

And in the future, if you want to do PC gaming, building your own is really the only way to go. If you take your time, do your homework, and select components carefully, you should be able to upgrade the thing one or two pieces at a time perpetually. Eventually, if you save the parts, you can rebuild the original computer, and then have it as a spare, give it to someone, sell it, whatever.

Collapse -
Answer
Not a bad machine to start.

"Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - AMD Athlon™ II x4 Quad-Core Processor 645 (3.1GHz, 2MB total cache) - 4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel SDRAM memory - 1TB hard drive - Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE graphics - NVIDIA® nForce® chipset"

All was going good till we hit the 6150SE graphics.

The 220 Watt power supply looks like we can change that so DO THAT FIRST.

Shop for your 600W PSU but get a SINGLE RAIL PSU to save grief later as you move it to a full size case.

ONE MORE THING -> The list.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067.html

BUT FIRST INSPECT the motherboard for an open PCIE x16 slot.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Man..

Dude, as proffitt mentioned earlier, you have a pretty decent set there as it is. With just a few tweaks, you could actually have a pretty good machine.
<div>
</div>Start off by getting a new PSU. A good, solid, 500W (or higher) unit. Spend as much as you can here. You can use the PSU when you build your own system in a couple of years. Perhaps a Cooler Master RSC00-80GAD3-US?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.