HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

I need help selecting a laptop

by NguyenKenneth / December 2, 2013 5:17 PM PST

Hi, I'm currently a high school student but I'm going to college next year. I'm looking to investing in a new device for college. I'm going to be studying in bio-medical engineering and I heard that the engineering program that they make you take strains your computer. I was wondering what would be the best device(s) to get that is portable, heavy-duty (specs-wise), and can withstand loads of programs running at once. I would really appreciate it if there were any suggestions for my dilemma. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help selecting a laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help selecting a laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not ask
by itsdigger / December 2, 2013 5:21 PM PST

the school for their suggestions. They would know what works......Digger

Collapse -
Answer
Advice
by clk4suport / December 2, 2013 5:36 PM PST

HI there,

firstly u hv look for unique laptop .

Collapse -
(NT) Wouldn't that be uniquely expensive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2013 8:07 PM PST
In reply to: Advice
Collapse -
Answer
Don't bother
by Jimmy Greystone / December 2, 2013 9:52 PM PST

Don't bother until at least your probably third year of college. You won't be getting anywhere near the core classes for your major until that time, so there's no point spending money on a laptop that'll be ready for replacement by the time you need it.

The first two, maybe even more, years of college will just be a repeat of high school with freshman english classes and gen ed type stuff. You wouldn't need much more than a netbook that can do some basic word processing for those. Once you've actually declared your major and been accepted into the degree program you can go out and get a new laptop. By then you'll probably have figured out that a laptop for college is a much better idea in theory than practice. Few lecture halls will have much more than a handful of electrical outlets, which will have fierce competition, there probably won't really be room to set up a laptop, taking notes will prove difficult even for a very fast touch typist (there's a reason court stenographers use a kind of shorthand) and I can pretty much guarantee you'll end up screwing around on Facebook or some similar site during lectures instead of listening to the lecture. You also have to figure that you're adding an extra 2-3lbs onto the weight of any books you buy (and another tip: Don't buy ANY books for your classes until at least the second week of class. Half the time you won't even use the book, so even having to spend more on new copies because the used are all gone, you'll come out ahead easily) for your classes that day. You should expect to be walking an average of 1-3 miles every day going between different campus buildings where classes might be scheduled, so consider lugging around 10-15lbs worth of books and then adding to that another couple pounds for your laptop.

My advice would be to get yourself a modest desktop that you leave in your dorm/apartment/frat/whatever. Do your homework on that as needed, then when you actually get into your degree program you can decide whether or not to just get a better desktop or a laptop.

Collapse -
HP will be better option and there are lot more like Apple,D
by diggdir / December 3, 2013 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Don't bother

HP will be better option and there are lot more like Apple,Dell,Samsung

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.