Desktops forum

General discussion

I need help in finding whats wrong with my computer

(thursday)
Okay, last night im playing some poker and all of a sudden pow. My computer shut it self down. I Booted it back up and it was 100+ degrees, but I had no problems the rest of the night. Today after my computer had been up and running for about 2-3 hours it happens again. This time it wont turn back on. I got all the dust out of it because it was really dirty when i opened the case and then unpluged power from both harddives and both cd drives and tried to boot. Still nothing. I then take out my power supply and open it up to see if maybe something blew out in it but i dont see anything wrong. Next i got my old power supply and hooked it up, but i get no response. One thing i noticed was for some stupid reason i didnt have my CPU fan connected rather i had my extra fan connected (dont ask me why). What do you think my problem is? Did my CPU blow out? or should i try somehthing else to get her back up? thanks, any help is appreciated.

(today)

okay the strangest thing happend. After work i went and bought myself a new case. Spend practically the entire cardinal game transfering all of my hardware into my new case which has 2 fans built into it. I was curious to see if my work would pay off and it was looking as if it would. I turned it on the first time and all the lights came on and even the motherboard light up. It sounded like it was booting up but i wasnt done with everything so i turned it off. I had the LED things mixed up so switched the + and - and turned it back on. It worked again. Then i asked someone to come look at all the lights and fans and ect and when i went to turn it on a 3rd time the motherboard wouldnt work. All the fans still light up and spin but nothing from the motherboard. I am stumped. I think im gonna call it day for now and try to figure this out tommorow. GRRRRRRR

SPECS: The computer itself is about two years old. specs are AMD 2500+ 512 ddr pc3200 epox 8rda+ motherboard two 60gb harddrives dvd rom and cdburner and a nvidia fx5900

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help in finding whats wrong with my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help in finding whats wrong with my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For starters

In reply to: I need help in finding whats wrong with my computer

When you say "it" was 100+ degrees are you talking celsius? And was that in regard to the CPU? Next question would be how long did you run the CPU with no fan, It sounds like possibly quite some time. It doesn't sound real promising as far as your CPU goes IMO.

Collapse -
Since the MB is in a new case

One common mistake made is to short the MB by not removing the unneeded mounting standoffs. To make sure nothing is damaged, you can take the MB out of the case and place it on a non-metalic surface and assemble minimum components that way. You won't need the drives as you are just going to access the BIOS setup and make sure the video works. Be sure you have the PS connected properly and the momentary power switch connected, of course. You can also just temporarily short the pins to power it on. If no damage occurred, you should be able to power up the system this way.

Collapse -
check

Check your cpu heatsink and make sure it is secured to the processor. To me, it sounds like something is overheating. Do what the others posted, but if they don't work, you may need to get another motherboard.

Collapse -
uh ho

"i didnt have my CPU fan connected rather i had my extra fan connected"

If you can't get to the bios. Try to clear cmos. If it doesn't work, then I would say you could of fryed the cpu. If so, the bright side is you get to update some more. Not just the tower.

Collapse -
yup

i would say you fried the cpu. athlons cant be started up w/o a heatsink where as a pentium 4 will work but just throttle.

sucks for you, hope you get it working

konny

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: yup

what do you think i need more? a new processor or a new mobo?

Collapse -
well if it were me

In reply to: hmm

and, had the $$$, I would do both. If you have to make a choice I would do the processor but, make sure if you go higher, your motherboard can handle it.

Collapse -
check this out

In reply to: well if it were me

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!