Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

I need help getting started

by Lana / February 8, 2004 3:23 AM PST

I am a newbie at creating web pages, my boss needs me to make him a web page, but I am so new on this job. If anybody could give me some tips or a good html web page I could go to for help I would be greatly thankful. I do not need people to do my web site for me so please do not ask if you are interested because I a not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help getting started
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help getting started
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:I need help getting started
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2004 4:36 AM PST

It's with all your political prowness you ask this question:

"What web site do you like the look of?"

If they can show you ford.com or gigle.com, then you know what the "taste" of the web site will be.

Tools, classes and more are over at http://www.w3c.org

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Looking for tutorials or sources?
by jmgb / February 8, 2004 6:26 AM PST

I don?t understand exactly what you are looking for. If you are looking for tutorials, webmonkey may help ( www.webmonkey.com ), or if you want to deeply involve on HTML, buy a DEITEL book ( www.deitel.com ).
When you learn HTML, it?s all about creativity.

If you already know HTML, you can look for good scripts to add to your site on www.javascriptkit.com or www.dynamicdrive.com

If you don?t want to learn HTML, you can always use Front Page, but it will generate a lot of TRASHCODE.

Looking for Hosting? I would strongly recommend CinerHost at www.cinerhost.com

If you can be more specific, I can help you with exactly what you are looking for, but I need more details.

As I always say, I?ll be happy to help you on my LiveChat ( http://chat.boldchat.com/chat/visitor.jsp?cdid=2573606345 ), via e-mail ( josemgb@hotmail.com ) or via MSN Messenger ( jmgb@tusolucion.com ). I?ll be checking this forum all day if you answer from here.

Collapse -
Re: I need help getting started
by Roseb44170 / October 9, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

Well there are some things that you haven't mentioned. Like for one whether your boss has some kind of Internet presence - like which Internet Service Provider does he use? Most ISP's provide their members with webpages and webpage space. And with these come instructions for how to create and put your webpage up on the Internet.

Another alternative would be for your boss to purchase a domain name and then use a webhost for the domain name. There are also websites that provide free webhosting but their advertisements will appear on your webpage.

So basically you create the webpage(s) and then put them up on the Internet but first you'll have to have someplace that will host your website.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

Collapse -
by cwesboyd / October 15, 2004 7:17 AM PDT

When you find out let me know!-It is a style you were hired for and not someone else!You can change the page Web all the time;noone knows what your boss is going to like or want -It is like asking someone to get to know you.A no frills page isnt what he wants.Find his favorite color-for background then it is only typing in the information.It is that easy -Go to your library and check out a book,Front Page DDC Microsoft or hell buy the book $20. It is real fun and you do feel like you have really done something cause you have

Collapse -
cwesboyd has a good point..
by radean / October 15, 2004 9:14 AM PDT

If your boss has only said, "Make me a webpage", then you are in a world of trouble. You may be going around and around with him, until he gets fed up, and you get a new job.

Make him specify what he wants to appear on the page, color schemes, etc. If he would just draw you a sketch of what he wants it to look like, would be a tremendous help.

Web pages are actually simple to create. The content can get complicated.

Collapse -
by focusdesigns / December 12, 2004 8:20 AM PST

hi i am a web designer and will to help you design you site just tell me what you are looking to do and i will explain what you have to do

david

Collapse -
I think you're 10 months too late...
by Del / December 17, 2004 3:38 PM PST

You might want to check the posting dates of each topic before wasting precious time responding;)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.