Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I NEED HELP FROM ANYONE ON REDUCING BOOT TIME WITH WIM XP

by shajul / March 19, 2007 4:06 AM PDT

I have a win xp comp
1100MHZ
256RAM
It takes 2mins 20secs to load up which is really annoying.
I need to know a good software o something i can do with my computer so my boot time reduces.
Please someone help me with my problem.
thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I NEED HELP FROM ANYONE ON REDUCING BOOT TIME WITH WIM XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I NEED HELP FROM ANYONE ON REDUCING BOOT TIME WITH WIM XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey that's pretty good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 4:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
I need something
by shajul / March 22, 2007 4:01 AM PDT

The real thing wrong with my computer is the amount of time it takes to boot.Is there any software i can use apart from crappy bootvis.Thanks.Who uses limewire

Collapse -
If you are saying...
by whizkid454 / March 22, 2007 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I need something

You want to use Limewire to get free software from others, I wouldn't suggest it. It's 1) wrong and 2)dishonest. If you need the software, use your hard-earned money.

Sorry I didn't help out your question but be aware of piracy.

Collapse -
help
by shajul / March 23, 2007 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: If you are saying...

I made a back up file with nro ultra adition but it was or win 2k. now i don't need the bakup because i got win xp.i used a cdrw and i cannot delete off it.it says it is a read-only.How ca i delte?

Collapse -
Making audio CD
by shajul / March 24, 2007 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: If you are saying...

Hello everyone! I have different problem now.It is easier to solve but I NEED HELP.i know how to copy music from a cd to my hard drive but i find it rather difficult and annoying to coy music from my hard drive to CD.I use wndows media player and i also have nero 7 ultra edition.Thanks anyone.

Collapse -
This is how...
by whizkid454 / March 24, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Making audio CD

1) Put a blank CD in the CD Recorder drive.
2) Select the files through Windows Explorer which you want on the CD.
3) Select first file and Shift and click again on the final file (or you can hold Ctrl and select individual files).
4) Go to the CD drive through My Computer and open up the CD.
5) Right click then paste.
6) It will say files are reayd to be written in the notification area. Click the ballon and follow the instructions.

These steps are useful when one doesn't have a CD burning program. If you do ahve a program, you can just use that. Questions??

Collapse -
I know how but somethings wrong
by shajul / March 26, 2007 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: This is how...

I know how to burn files onto a disk using media player but when i start to burn it has an error saying that i don't have the right codecs please help me

Collapse -
Software's not the answer

What would give you the most dramatic increase would be doubling your RAM. XP likes 256MB all for itself, which on your system, would leave none for any other programs. XP's sweet spot for RAM is 512MB-1GB for your average desktop applications.

Other than that, if you want to reduce startup times, make sure to switch off all unnecessary services, and keep general startup programs to a minimum. That's about all you can do.

In any case, don't expect any miracles with a system that old. You probably won't see boot times under a minute, but you could probably shave a good 45 seconds to a minute off of your current boot time.

Collapse -
I have 192MB and can boot in well under a minute :O
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 6:12 AM PDT

Wow, I am kinda good at optimizing systems without much RAM I guess because my 192MB 1500MHz machine will boot in well under a minute; in fact I can be logged on and ready to go in not more than about 1 minute thirty!!

And the machine runs FAST. Just my experiences...

Collapse -
what does intel appication accelerotor do
by shajul / March 20, 2007 3:40 AM PDT

I have got intel application acclerator which should speed up your processor.I need to know how this software works and how to use it.I also need to know how to open my computers BIOS

Collapse -
It's worthless
by jackson dougless / March 20, 2007 4:06 AM PDT

My understanding, is that the program you mention is intended for laptops, which tend to have CPUs which will alter their clock speed depending on if you're running on AC or battery power. It lets you override the default clock speed to increase performance, at the expense of battery life. On a desktop, it serves no real function.

The best solution to your problem, is as I already said, double (or more) your RAM. Should be a relatively inexpensive proposition.

As for accessing your BIOS configuration, it's different with every system. When you first turn the system on, watch for a message that says something to the effect of "Press <key> to enter Setup". Where <key> will be some key on the keyboard.

Collapse -
I Agree That Lack of RAM Major Problem but....
by tobeach / March 20, 2007 5:08 PM PDT

you'll also want to stop (disable) as many programs as possible from starting at boot- up.
I have XPPro with Spybot (running in advanced mode) and use it's start-up list (enable/disable) as I prefer it to MS Config. It currently shows only my AVG AV, Intel IGFX tray & Spybot Tea Timer (background settings protector) & 10 system ini's running at boot. Takes about 40 seconds from push of power button to my desktop with hour glass gone.
All others get started as I click on them or as called by site (say Media Player).Printer will start up normally but takes 5 seconds more.

Here's a link to a start-up lists of what those other items starting are so you can tell which are booting.:

http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

Here's a link to Black Vipers NEW home page. He has many suggestions for speeding up boot times (for XP):
http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

Good Luck & speedy boot ups!!

Collapse -
Rambus RDRAM
by foreman33 / March 21, 2007 2:03 PM PDT

I agree that ram increase will increase speed but when you are paying $200 plus dollars for 1 meg of ram I don't consider that cheap. Does anyone know where you can get Rambus RDRAM cheap???? I'm running 512 meg now that is 4 128 meg chips. The big problem that I hate is that everyone of the chips I remove I must subtract that 128 meg of ram. At one time you could buy an adapter that you could plug into that memory slot so that you could put 2 modules in one slot. I don't think they still make that and I not even sure how well it worked when it was available. Good idea though. Rambus RDRAM is good but too expensive compaired to other ram modules. Even on Ebay I can't find any real good deals. Does anyone has some for sale cheap???

Collapse -
Wow! That's expensive
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Rambus RDRAM

$200 for 1 MB of RAM?

In the UK I can get 512MB of RAM for

Collapse -
hi Mark, if 56 GBP=$90
by jonah jones / March 23, 2007 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow! That's expensive
Collapse -
Error on my registry editor
by shajul / March 23, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: hi Mark, if 56 GBP=$90

when i went on regedit- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Dfrg \ BootOptimizeFunction]

I went under the optimize error tab and it said missing registry entries.What can i do?

Collapse -
Lots of tips here
by linkit / March 22, 2007 5:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reduce start up time
by pfmills / March 23, 2007 10:51 PM PDT

Advanced window care...sorted out my computer

Collapse -
advanced widow care
by shajul / March 24, 2007 7:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Reduce start up time

Could you now please tell me how to open advanced window care oon your comp(if yu do open from comp) or how to get it and us it and where can gat it or open it from

Collapse -
Advanced Window Care
by pfmills / March 24, 2007 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: advanced widow care

Type 'advanced window care' in Yahoo or go to www.iobit.com

I reduced my start up files from about 52 down to 36..and my hp omnibook xe4500 had never run better.

I got rid of Norton IS. Now have NOD32, Zone alarm (free firewall), windows defender (free),Ad-adware Se (free) and Advanced Window Care V2 (free)

Hope this helps you

Collapse -
HOw to use it
by shajul / March 26, 2007 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Advanced Window Care

i have now gt advanced wndow care but i don't know how to use it.please help me

thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?