Cameras forum

General discussion

i need help fining a great camera for ameuter photgrapher

im really into photography, but im an amueture. im trying to find a great camera that will be not too expensive but do great quiality photos ( almost professional looking? ) thats the most important thing whenlooking for a camera ( image quality ) im also looking at the canon g9 - i was wondering, is it ujst great looking photos or professional looking?
and it is worth the price.?

i am also looking for a camera that have face detection and manual setting for different exposures of light and times of day. also for when its dark outside - i want a camera with as little nose as possible.

ill name a few cameras im looking at and i want to know more about them, if they will be worth the price and have GREAT, n ot just ok image quality.

im thinking about :

canon a710 is
fuji finepix s1000 fd
olympus 5060 w2
canon a59015
sanyo camera/ camcorder hd 1
canon sd900
canon sd700

im also looking for camera with great macro photography !
any camera suggestions also?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need help fining a great camera for ameuter photgrapher
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need help fining a great camera for ameuter photgrapher
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Cameras

In reply to: i need help fining a great camera for ameuter photgrapher

Your range of camera types is all over the place.
It runs from the ultra compact to the DSLR-like cameras.
You are not ready to choose a camera yet.
You have to define what features you need.

Some help:

You want manual controls so that eliminates the Canon SD cameras and probably the Sanyo camera/camcorder.

The Canon A590IS will be the lowest priced camera that you will find that has manual controls. It replaces the very popular A570IS.

The Canon A710 has been replaced by the A720IS.

The Olympus C-5060 is a fine camera but it has been out of production for years. You will not be able to find a new one.

The Fujifilm S1000fd appears to be the replacement for the S700/5700.
The S700 has been very popular.

Face Detection is aimed at point-and-shoot buyers.
It is more gimmick than a truly useful feature.

All digital cameras do a good job with Macro photography.
The trick for best results is lots of light and a tripod.

Great photographs are 30% camera and 70% photographer.
So spend some time selecting a camera with a sharp lens and manual controls.
Spend twice as much time learning about photography.

Collapse -
thanks!

In reply to: Digital Cameras

by manual controls u mean like nite shots and suchright?

oh it is? i thought i was like sumthing i needed..
tthanks! I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWNTHAT!

and ive been trying to learn a lot! i look up stuff about cameras and study it like 60% of the time when im online..

also the canon g9?have u you used it before?

Collapse -
Digital Cameras

In reply to: thanks!

If you want to get serious about photography, manual controls are needed.

Manual controls give the photographer the ability to take control of the exposure settings.

Examples:

You are at a daytime soccer game and want to get some good action shots, with no motion blurring of the players. You use the manual control "Shutter Priority" and set the shutter speed to about 1/250th or 1/500th of a second. The camera will automatically adjust the aperture to give you perfect exposure.

You are taking a picture of a waterfall and want to give the water that flowing look. You choose a slow shutter speed (about 1 second) so that the water motion does blur. Of course you need to set the camera on a tripod to prevent camera movement during the slow exposure.

You are taking a macro shot of a 3 dimensional object, you need big "depth of field" to make sure everything is in sharp focus.
You use "Aperture Priority" and set it to the darkest setting (like f/16). Of course you will need to use some lights and a tripod for best results.

Manual controls are very important with night shots.
Because sometimes you need to break the rules to get the right effect.
Image taking a photo of a group of stores (at night) from way back in the parking lot.
The stores are well lit and the parking lot only has a few overhead lights.
The camera is going to see the bright lights of the store and adjust itself to produce a well exposed shot of the stores.
The parking lot will be very dark.
You check the camera to see what shutter speed an aperture it wants to use for the shot.
Then you set the camera to "full manual" and set the shutter speed about 4 times slower than the camera's choice.
That will brighten the cars in the parking lot and cause the very brightest store lights to be somewhat overexposed.
If you did not get the exact effect you wanted, adjust the shutter speed again and take another shot.
For those slow shutter speeds, a tripod is a must.

Here is a brief explanation of "exposure":

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?hhTest=1&forumID=58&threadID=241840&messageID=2469240

The Canon G9 is Canon's Premium non DSLR camera.
A bit expensive and an excellent camera.
It has all the features that you could want.
It has a very sharp lens.

Collapse -
If you really want to learn photography

In reply to: Digital Cameras

I would pick up this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215976585&sr=8-1

It's a great book to help you understand the different aspects of photography and how your camera works.

I have not shot the G9, but had a G2 for many years(actually I still have it, but limtited use). The G series perform very well, but you need to be able to push it with manual controls in order to get the most out of it. Shooting in RAW will help, but it will require some post processing. If you want the best image quality you will need to shoot in RAW and not JPEG.

Collapse -
:D

In reply to: If you really want to learn photography

THANK YOU SO MUCHHH!

oh and does any one know he thirds rule?
a photographer i knew told me it but had to stop and do sumthing else...
explain please?

how long does it take to do raw processing? what do you do exactly? and why do you use it?

sorry for all the questions! lol

Collapse -
Some info

In reply to: :D

Here is an article to explain the rule of thirds
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/rule-of-thirds/

It doesn't take much to process RAW files. Once you're used to it then about a minute or two for each photo. You would really want to do more to photos that will be important, thus you could spend more than a couple of minutes. You won't always shoot RAW...only when you want the highest quality. RAW retains all of the information of the photo(that's why the file sizes are so large)and keeps the photo as it was taken by the camera without any in camera processing. JPEGs are photos that have in camera processing so it creates a more pleasing photo straight out of the camera. This is good in that you usually have to do little post processing, but it has the camera make the choices for you which is not always the best. To give you an example of a work flow of post processing here is a nice video.

http://www.nobsphotosuccess.com/tutorial/introtutwmv/introtutwmv.html

Collapse -
x]

In reply to: Some info

thankyou! the artical helped SO muCH!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.