Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

I need help finding the right file format or converter

by jeems93 / December 3, 2008 3:02 PM PST

Ok, I just got my new 42" tv so I want to find some way to get my .avi files to play on my television without cables. So, I'm thinking the best way to do this is to burn the files onto a DVD and throw it in my wife's cheap CyberHome CH-DVD 300 dvd player or my Sony PS2.

Well, I've gone through about 12 dvds trying to get this to work. Neither system recognizes avi files. What are my options for getting my media to play on one of my devices?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help finding the right file format or converter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help finding the right file format or converter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You get a dvd player yhat support that particular avi format
by ahtoi / December 3, 2008 3:15 PM PST

or you convert the avi to the dvd format. What is this avi; wmv, divx, mov, etc.?

Collapse -
I've not seen a DVD player that supports avi
by jeems93 / December 3, 2008 3:38 PM PST

I thought all .avi files were JUST .avi files. Aren't wmv, divx, & mov all different file types?

Collapse -
The extension .avi are pretty general.
by ahtoi / December 4, 2008 12:52 AM PST

Another term we hear a lot is mpeg4; not all mpeg4 are the same.

So we muct know what we have and to have the proper codex for it.

Collapse -
how do i find that out?
by jeems93 / December 4, 2008 3:54 AM PST

all i can see is that it is an avi file. how do i find out what kind?

Collapse -
i found that the easiest way
by jonah jones / December 6, 2008 6:36 PM PST

to play an avi on our "El Cheapo" DVD player
was to burn the DVD as a Data disc using
CDburnerXPpro

a good program to check out adio/video files and
the codecs neede/installed is GSpot

both are freebies, both are excellent

hope this helps

jonah

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.