TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I need help choosing a HDTV

by nzknzknzk / November 24, 2006 8:30 AM PST

I have looked high and low, but couldn't find anything. I need a 1080p (that supports all resolutions) HDTV for under 1500, preferably LCD, preferably 32" but not smaller then 27". Any ideas? Brands don't matter to me, since I know that unknown brands make cheap but good quality TVs.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I need help choosing a HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I need help choosing a HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few clicks here @ c/net
by NM_Bill / November 24, 2006 10:12 AM PST

reviews, TVS, 1920 X 1080 resolution, 32-39.9 " screen (because none are listed for 27-32"ers), leads to 37" LCDs with 1080 res. Sharp LC37D90U has 1080p. Another one or two do, too. They might hit your price range. However, consider that posters here tend to favor brand names for more quality & reliability assurance, rather than off brands like the Planar,Sceptre & Westinghouse. You will need to be able to see then in person to judge picture quality.

Time may spread 1080p across various screen sizes, but be advised our feeling is the benefits of HD aren't apparent in smaller sizes. Some say a minimum of 48" & larger. You may reconsider your need for 1080p.

Others may post with handy, personal knowledge info. Take it from here.

Collapse -
Thanks but
by nzknzknzk / November 25, 2006 3:34 AM PST

Its just that I want to have this TV for a long time, and so it needs to be futureproof.

Collapse -
So make sure to get 1080p & HDMI
by NM_Bill / November 25, 2006 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but
Collapse -
Maybe 720p is ok?
by nzknzknzk / November 25, 2006 8:48 AM PST

I'm actually seriously considering the Samsung LN-S3251D, because I've seen it in person and it is amazing. What are your thoughts? I don't believe I need 1080p since the screen is too small anyway, and that tv has 2 HDMI ports.

Collapse -
It is said
by NM_Bill / November 25, 2006 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe 720p is ok?

one doesn't get the full effect of 1080 in under, say, 50".

Your cited model has the 2 HDMI inputs, so you're covered there.

Size is your call; I just related that the marketing is targeting the larger sizes these days. as a matter of fact, with concentration on them, the smaller tend to become less expensive faster.

Your call. You will enjoy...

Collapse -
Well,
by nzknzknzk / November 25, 2006 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: It is said

I dont really need more then 32 inches, since the TV will go in my bedroom. My current 24 incher looks sorta big itself, so 32 inches will be perfect. Thanks for your help, I think I will get the samsung i mentioned afterall.

Collapse -
its been said, so i'll repeat it again
by masterying01 / November 25, 2006 1:46 PM PST

1080p doesnt mean anything unless you're going with AT LEAST a 40 inch...if not a 50 and above.

the lns3251 is a good tv and since 2 hdmi's are important for you...then thats probably the only one i can recommend. the sharp 32inch looks bad, and the sonys only has 1 hdmi.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.