Computer Help forum

General discussion

i need help choosing a computer

im lookin towards a dell demension xps gen 5 but have heard rumors that its not worth the money can someone please give me some suggestions on what i should buy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i need help choosing a computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i need help choosing a computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What and Which computer to buy.

In reply to: i need help choosing a computer

Why do you need a computer ? What do you want to do with it ? What is your budget ? What is your computer competency ? All these have to be considered so that a suitable computer can be found, within your budget, so that you get the best value for you money. You do not want costly extras which you will never need or use, etc., or get the fastest processor or the latest video cards if you only do word processing, surfing and e-mail.

You then go to the manufactires's site to look for computers with your specifications, get the model number, then go to computer review sites to read users' comments. Then you choose.

Collapse -
im lookin for a gaming comp that can handle games...

In reply to: What and Which computer to buy.

such as diablo 2 world of warcraft etc. and my budget is bout 2200 dollars

Collapse -
Well...

If you're a gamer, then the ability to upgrade a system is very important, and you don't get that with brand name systems. You HAVE to build yourself to get that. It takes some time to hit hardware review sites, to pick out what seem like the best parts for the money, but it will pay off in the end. The end price might also be a little higher than you might get from Dell, but you're getting considerably better quality parts. Not to mention, highly interchangable parts. If a few months down the road, you need a new video card for some game, you can change that out with ease, for example.

Dell's aren't bad for workstation systems, as brand name systems go, but I wouldn't even consider them if the primary aim of the computer is gaming.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i appreciate your help

In reply to: Well...

Collapse -
Getting a gaming machine

In reply to: Well...

I agree with yewanchors that you should stay away from Dell; and from Gateway, and HP, and others whose main business is workstations and office computers. Although Dell is advertising a ''cheap'' gaming computer, you probably would need so many upgrades that its price would be become competetive with a true gamer.

Since you list yourself as a Newbie, you may not want to build your own system, as yewanchors suggested. But at least study up on available components, especially the CPU and chipset, drives and video cards. Talk to other gamers in your area; there may be a club or SUG. Decide what you want, and how much you want to spend (probably around $1500 for a mid-range gaming machine, >$2000 for a high end, liquid cooled machine.

Once you know what you want, and guess at what enhancements you may want in the future, find a local system builder; preferably one who specializes in gaming systems. I don't know where in Louisana you live, but if near one of the larger cities, you probably could find one. Check their reputation for service and support, both during warranty and beyoud. Then when you find a good one, have the machine built to your specifications, including the model numbers of all components you select.

If you don't want to go through all this, then buy from a company that specializes in gaming computers, such as Alienware. They are amongest the best of all computer manufacturers in the country for service and support.

One more thing; wherever you get your system, insist on an original Microsoft XP System disk. Don't settle for a ''restore disk.''

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
BUY THE BEST

No, i dont represent them, but i think that Alienware is the best. I would recommend for gaming, the Area 51 ALX with SLI.

Collapse -
Alienware..

In reply to: BUY THE BEST

Alienware does make VERY high end systems but before you buy anything...look somewhere else. Do a little search on these forums and see what the people really think about Alienware.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!